Thread: Im new at this

Im new at this

Hi Im very new at this so bare with me. I have never done a kit car and I don't know how to. If I buy this kit from http://www.euroworksltd.com/MirageX/Stage2.htm which is $9000 how much will it cost me when its completed? I mean the total cost without the fiero. How many hours will it take to finish a complete kit?

Thank You

Re: Im new at this

First off... WELCOME!!! Glad to have you here!

As for the total cost... that depends on you partially. You will need to buy wheels/tires, modify the chassis (cut and weld) and add new steel to replace the roof section mods and such. When that is complete, you'll actually start mounting the body and that takes prep work and minor to major body fiixes to get correct. The cost of that prep and material is added to the final costs of painting prep work such as primer/sanding, guide coats, final primer/sealer and paint.

Beyond that, what do you want to do to your interior or exterior options... seats, gauges, lenses, emblems, etc.

I know of people that have built a Mirage 355 (no realation to the Mirage X), for under $30K while I've got close to $60 into mine.

If you are, even for a second, thinking of building this kit with hopes of turning a profit... forget it. When you build a kit, it is for YOU and your personal pleasure. VERY, very rarely does anyone get out of a kit sale what they put into it. The exception to that rule may be Cobra kits and then only sometimes.

I figure, as a good rule of thumb, expect to add at least 3 times the kit price for a completed car. Personal touches from there... $$$

That math for your car ends around $28K... if I'm right

In any case... BEST OF LUCK! and enjoy the process!

DKOV -

$28 000 USD or CDN?

US... Don't take me to literally though... It could, and may well be, less. I'm saying that 4 times the kit price is AVERAGE. As in, directly in the middle.

You do alot of the work yourself and don't go nuts and you'll be lower than that.

Best of Luck!

DKOV -

DKOV - Pudg is new on the forum, and might not know what you mean when you say "go nuts" - maybe you make us all salivate with some pictures of the kind of stuff a kit car builder who has "gone nuts"?

Just check out www.gopc.com/F355/F355x.html and go through the pages there... you'll see what "go nuts" means

DKOV -

No no I don't want to go nuts like that.. I just want the outside to look like a diablo and the inside look decent.. I don't even mind if the interior looks just like the fiero... I just want the outside to look like a diablo. I honestly don't think that would be more the 12000 USD without car. I will leave everything the same just the out side like the diablo... and maybe some interior... you might be wondering why. I don't have that much money.. so I'll just do the outside and work on it the more i get money.