Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smog and RPM problem--HELP

Smog and RPM problem--HELP

Hello-- Hope someone might be able to help me --I have a Countach replica with a ponitac 1985 2.8 V-6 in it .I live in Ca. so smog laws are a killer. It smogged before for the seller in the pasted and he also lives in Ca. I took it to get smogged and I guess it needs to be down to 800 RPMs so I bought it back to my mechanic and he can not get it that low -there's probably more to it--Can anybody help me out what could be the problems--Im getting no sleep at night --I just got the car too-- PLEASE HELP

Re: Smog and RPM problem--HELP

idle adjuster, or vacuum leak, or map sensor, iac sensor,

Find a new mechanic. Seriously, those engines aren't hard to work on, he should find a solution. As said, check vaccum lines, etc

F the mechanic! Go to a Pep Boys or something and get yourself a Chilton or Haynes manual and fix it yourself. There is a troubleshooting chapter in the book where you should be able to locate your symptoms, and then follow the directions to fix it. More than likely its a vacume leak, but there are a number of other things that will cause a high idle also. Go get the book. If you have a Kit thats based on a Fiero, you should have the book anyway. It will save you a ton of money down the road, and eliminate alot of headaches.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Quote Originally Posted by MURCI-ME
    F the mechanic! Go to a Pep Boys or something and get yourself a Chilton or Haynes manual and fix it yourself. There is a troubleshooting chapter in the book where you should be able to locate your symptoms, and then follow the directions to fix it. More than likely its a vacume leak, but there are a number of other things that will cause a high idle also. Go get the book. If you have a Kit thats based on a Fiero, you should have the book anyway. It will save you a ton of money down the road, and eliminate alot of headaches.
    +1! I agree! The Fiero is a very basic engine to diagnose and repair. Inexpensive too! If you don't know how to work on cars.......the Fiero is a great engine to learn on!

Sound like the OP probably doesnt have much mechanical skill and is using a mechanic to expedite the process. Working on cars is something you learn over the years even with manuals, you need some learning curve or innate ability. So go find another mechanic or he might just screw things up worse.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH -- you have a life long members here. again THANKS for your knowledge-- Its means a lot to me to here your statements

Does anybody live in northern Ca. by S.F that could help me with finding the problems--I will pay for EVERYTHING --once again THANKS

call inland Exotics 951-343-1800

Thanks for the phone#--Inland exotics only handles building car and already smogged cars. They can't help--Anybody else?? In Northern Californie area -Any kit car people in my area ?--THANKS