Thread: 3800 SC engine

3800 SC engine

Hey guys just curious. What all do i need to do to pull my 6cyl fiero engine and install a 3800 SC. i hear you can beef these engines up quite a bit and i love the high pitch whine these engines produce. Somebody said I could pull my engine and the 3800 SC bolts right up. I find that hard to believe can anyone chime in on this?
    Also how much Hp have you guys heard you can get out of the 3800SC? Any suggestions on drive train tranny etc?

Re: 3800 SC engine

Quote Originally Posted by holycow
    Hey guys just curious. What all do i need to do to pull my 6cyl fiero engine and install a 3800 SC. i hear you can beef these engines up quite a bit and i love the high pitch whine these engines produce. Somebody said I could pull my engine and the 3800 SC bolts right up. I find that hard to believe can anyone chime in on this?
    Also how much Hp have you guys heard you can get out of the 3800SC? Any suggestions on drive train tranny etc?
    The 3800s/c is not a super easy swap and will not just bolt in.. But the rewards for the effort are worth it.. The most reliable setup has the complete drivetrain from a 3800 car including the Tranny..

Go to Pennocks Fiero forum for tons of information on the 3800S/C swaps.. http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ul...assCookie=true

This is my drivetrain and I make about 400rwhp..

Here it is at the track.. ;D

Yeah, I would definitely agree with Mr. Ferrari there on just about everything he said. I had a complete 0 miles test engine/transmission from a 97 Bonneville in my 86 Finale kit car. It was mostly stock with good a good cold air intake system and high flow cat. My last dyno pull showed 242 h.p. at the rear wheels which would translate to just probably just over 300 flywheel h.p. Car was strictly street and was using the 4T65Ehd auto tranny. It pretty much got 25 m.p.g. all the time and 34 out on longer highway trips. I really enjoyed it and drove it every spare moment for about a year and a half.
    Installing a 3800 SC in a Fiero is all about research. Find out the how's and then start shopping for stuff. West Coast Fiero has kind of a checklist at their web site of what they put into these swaps. It is not just a simple bolt-in. I've seen guys put 80 to 100 hours into them and met one guy at a show that had well over 500 hours in the install and all the mods he made to everything.

checkout fastfieros.com

Try www.FieroAddiction.com (information site here: http://www.fieroaddiction.com/index2.html )

Essentially, you'll need motor mounts, wiring/mating the donor wiring harness to the Fiero Harness, and plumbing.

If yr going automatic, don't even consider using anything other than the donor transmission. A manual Fiero trans will bolt to the 3800 engine, but you'll need a different flywheel.

It's not any more difficult than a 4.9 Cadillac swap. If you had all the parts, you could do it in a weekend. That's a big 'if' though...

The wiring can be hired out, ballpark $400-700. Not sure where you can find the mounts; worst case, make your own using modified donor parts. Axles (only need new ones if you use the donor trans) can be bought off the shelf - check FieroAddiction for more details. Try www.car-part.com for the donor engine - make sure you get the complete wiring harness with it.

The wiring to get the motor running is fairly simple although you will spend some time to get all the Fiero gauges and transmission working properly with the 3800 computer. like everyone just said. Start doing research around the net. This is a common swamp. Lots of people did some good writeups on this.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ferrari
    The 3800s/c is not a super easy swap and will not just bolt in.. But the rewards for the effort are worth it.. The most reliable setup has the complete drivetrain from a 3800 car including the Tranny..

Go to Pennocks Fiero forum for tons of information on the 3800S/C swaps.. http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ul...assCookie=true

Here it is at the track.. ;D
    do you have pdf wiring diagram to convert the 3800sc to the fiero
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Quote Originally Posted by ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ferrari

do you have pdf wiring diagram to convert the 3800sc to the fiero
    Look for Darth Fiero at Pennocks or his website: http://www.gmtuners.com/

Mr Ferrari's car is awesome, but it was built by Don Krauss

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!