Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chromemoly or aluminum chassis

chromemoly or aluminum chassis

as some of you know i am a chassis builder, and now that i am almost done with all the upgrades to the chassis works desgin, i am thinking and wondering if an aluminum alloy or a chromemoly chassis would have a market. i will be posting a series of new pics of my chassis soon, i have been doing the last of my upgrades to a countach chassis but the simularites will be the same for any wheel base. any and all feed back would be appreciated,

Re: chromemoly or aluminum chassis

Not sure how many people are capable of welding aluminum if they would need to add brackets/hangers or whatever so I would go with steel. Chromemoly is bit harder to weld then mild steel but it has its adventages over mild steel.
    For me I would go with steel mainly cause I hate welding aluminum

thanks chimaera, and understand what you are saying about welding, been really considering a mix between chrome moly and steel, and having some of my friends make me some carbon fiber panels, instead of steel panels. i am looking to get the weight of my chassis down to around 400lbs complete minus steering and front suspension.

sent you a pm

if you know roughly length of tubes/material you will need for the frame you can always put it on scale and you will know more or less how much it will weight.
    cow droppings, I would love my self to have 1hp to 1lb weight ratio and having same problem with my chassis. Goal is to have it under 1800lb when its finished but I do not know if that will happen.
    You can always use thinner wall tubes and triangulate it for strength, its all a matter how much risk you like to take.

Quote Originally Posted by chimaera
    I would love my self to have 1hp to 1lb weight ratio and having same problem with my chassis. Goal is to have it under 1800lb when its finished but I do not know if that will happen.
    A 3.9 ratio is extraordinary. I'd like to see a street legal car with that sort of 1 to 1 ratio power. To get your car under 1800lb you'd have to go with an aluminum spaceframe, suspension, and carbon fiber panels. A streetible reliable drivetrain with 1800 HP will be heavy. Boosted 2JZ's, SRT 10's, and LS9's can get there.

My vote is for mild steel - I like carburized 1020. Easy to weld to, less brittle than chrome moly and best of all - cheaper than CM or aluminum.

I think your time might be better spent developing a MODULAR chassis. One where the wheelbase, engine, transmission, seating, etc. can be either changed or ordered in sections or subframes.

Also, just an opinion - most frames are overbuilt. I have never seen a case where a frame has failed, only brackets and mountings. Most people think they have to have super-stiff chassis because they supposedly "handle" better. It always amuses me when people spend thousands of dollars and add hundreds of pounds to a chassis when the only time it makes any difference is when a professional driver on race tires takes a car to it's absolute maximum. And even then a good driver can adjust to a frame flexing fractions of an inch diagonally. Now, adding weight to protect the passengers is justified.

i have no probs welding any of the metals, but yes building them in sections i do, started that for the little guys so that way a person does not have to fork out so much money at one time for a build, when i start doing the countach and diablo bodies i plan on doing them the same way all body panels will be separate and flanged, which will also help for repairs. sorry I'm not going their with the mercy and Rev's and any other newer body kit, to many builders out there. not to mention that would not be morally right for the body guys that i do chassis for, and any others i hope to do business with.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cliffscustomfab
    i have no probs welding any of the metals, but yes building them in sections i do, started that for the little guys so that way a person does not have to fork out so much money at one time for a build, when i start doing the countach and diablo bodies i plan on doing them the same way all body panels will be separate and flanged, which will also help for repairs. sorry I'm not going their with the mercy and Rev's and any other newer body kit, to many builders out there. not to mention that would not be morally right for the body guys that i do chassis for, and any others i hope to do business with.
    what do you think about this fabricated cross member for street rods to use C5 SUSP.
    http://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/32...ONVERSION.html
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Some of the aftermarket crossmembers are quite good. I'd recommend the C4 setup though, because they are simpler - they use two bolts through a large mounting shaft, rather than four bolts holding two smaller shafts.