Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: side glass

Re: side glass

Good find IKR
    Cutting Lexan is not that difficult. for straight cuts. Score it deeply (multiple) passes with a plastic cutter. Snap it off on the edge of a table. Use a jig saw to cut corners. Go slow - and it won't melt. Also put candle wax on the jig saw blade and along your cut line. It will help keep it from heating up while you are cutting. Smooth the edges with a block wrapped with sandpaper.

awesome guys! Thanks very much for the help. Any idea how effective the scratch resistant lexan is? I was also thinking of using it for the engine decklid and inside engine compartment windows but was unsure how durable lexan is to heat...

I used lexan on my rear window,and after 1 year it split at the sharp bends.I uset a heat gun when I installed it.Looked great at first,but now I have theese stress cracks in them.I could use some help here also

From my experiences. polycarbonate window grade (Lexan) doesn't react real well to heatguns. You may of had better luck with heating it uniformly In an industrial oven. Generally 320+ degrees. If you spot heat it, such as a heat gun. You can't regulate the melting point accurately and cause it to crack in a short pierod of time.

Using Lexan in an engine compartment may cause the material to become brittle over time due to the constant heat. Not to mention petroleum based fumes that may also break it down over time as well.

Their are many other polycarbonates that may react better to spot heating Especially softer ones.

What do you recomend?I would like real glass if possible,but oem Ferrari glass is to expensive.I dont have a watson kit,I have a Mearge.

Yes,The rear curved glass

Bob;

You can getthe rear glass from an MR2 Series II car. It is curved quite similar to the Ferrari rear windows that are curved. Most kits that have the rear window curved like oem used the MR2 rear glass a close representation. You may need to do a bit of work around the rear window frame though if your Mirage kit did not shape that area off the mr2 rear window.

Not sure how available they are but they can be had if you look around. I checked around up in Canada and they are much more rare up here. I did check a window place and found out it would be $1300 new.... Wasn't interested in that. I am sure you can find one down in the States fairly easily though.

Good luck
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I seen a 2010 caddy suv this week and they have laminated side glass... dont know but you might be able to find one big enough and cut it down if corve is anywhere close.... I thought laminated side glass would be illegal but GM is now using it...
    1987 Fiero GT 3800sc
    1985 Fiero GT Northstar
    1985 Fiero GT 3800

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrown
    I seen a 2010 caddy suv this week and they have laminated side glass... dont know but you might be able to find one big enough and cut it down if corve is anywhere close.... I thought laminated side glass would be illegal but GM is now using it...
    How do you know it's laminated glass?