Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: side glass

side glass

what are you guys doing for side window glass? Like the main window and even the smaller quarter window if your car requires it.

From what I've read lexan is illegal on the street and you cant cut existing tempered glass so whats everyone doing?

I mean not everyone is having custom glass made are they?

I saw the thread where the guy cut his windshield but I understand its a different type of laminated glass from what is used for the side and quarter windows.

any help is appreciated.

thanks.

ps. this is for my mclaren project so dont pm or offer me lambo glass.

Re: side glass

unless you are using oem replacemant glass you will need to have it custom made.the other option is to mod/redesign your project around lower cost oem glass from a more common car.beyond that i know a lot of people use plexi or lexan for side and rear windows,weather its a good idea or not.

if I were to use plexi or lexan what are the chances of getting caught and what are the consequences?

I cant build my project around another cars oem glass since nothing is similar in any way shape or form.

i think the issue with lexan or plexi is safety in the event of a crash.either being trapped because the glass wont shatter or sharp edges in the event that it does break.other members could chime in and give better info on this than i could.

not much is going to happen, they will just give you a ticket to replace it with glass

If you give the Lexan/plexi a slight bend and then tint it and hit it with a layers of clear it looks like real glass. Trim it up and I dont think a cop will tell the difference.

Windshields can be cut since it is laminated glass. (two layers of glass with plastic in between).

Side and rear windows of modern day cars are tempered glass or known as hardend glass. You can not cut this type of glass, it will shatter.

Unless you have a full frame around the glass channel you can not use Lexan. It's not stiff enough to give pressure to the weather seals on a coupe style door. (no glass frame)

You will need to look into making a pattern and having the glass custom made and tempered. Don't bother trying to use window film and clear on Lexan. It will scratch easily and you will not be able to see through it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    Windshields can be cut since it is laminated glass. (two layers of glass with plastic in between).

Side and rear windows of modern day cars are tempered glass or known as hardend glass. You can not cut this type of glass, it will shatter.

Unless you have a full frame around the glass channel you can not use Lexan. It's not stiff enough to give pressure to the weather seals on a coupe style door. (no glass frame)

You will need to look into making a pattern and having the glass custom made and tempered. Don't bother trying to use window film and clear on Lexan. It will scratch easily and you will not be able to see through it very well.
    I need to do something for this quarter window and door window with the smaller window slider in it. I guess I could use lexan in that case since in both cases the lexan would be in a frame or bonded to the car body.

http://www.nextautos.com/files/image...-4.preview.jpg

I'm just assuming custom tempered glass is extremely expensive. I've already looked into getting a custom windsheild done and thats not cheap so I'm trying to save some money on the sides if I can.

If it were me, I would use the Lexan in your case. Make sure you install it with the UV protected side facing out.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!