Thread: The ugly scream....

The ugly scream....

My GT is making the WIERDEST noise....

At about 3000 RPM when accellerating.....it starts making this wierd scream sound.....it sounds almost like a supercharger...but the car seems to be fighting itself to accelerate...the power just isnt there... It just won't climb in the R's.. it has touble going above 4200???

The engine is a 3.1L with headers, MSD Ignition and stock exhaust...Idle is fine....and the enginge will rev...all the way to redline without a problem. The car also has a new belt and got a full tune up about 2 weeks ago....no Diagnostic probs what so ever....oil levels are fine...and clutch works fine, and shifts well....no smell of burning clutch or brakes or anything...just seems to be gutless, and make this weird sound.....and nobody seems to have heard it before...Anyone got ideas??

Steve
    87 3.1Turbo GT Spyder

Re:The ugly scream....

I would look for a few things. Throw out bearings make a loud whine when they are going away. If the engine is sluggish like it is laboring to get the revs going, you may have a bearing turning within the engine. Then again it could be an alternator. Get one of those listening sticks and poke around a little. When you change the oil do you look for shavings or heavy sludge? When an alternator goes away it usually has a rusty looking powder that gets on the housing.

Anyway, it sounds expensive.

Best of luck
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I agree with MAPICS_Man sounds like a bearing cound be the alternator, Air conditioner or water pump. Try wiggleing the pulleys and see if theres any play.Could be the slight posibility of a bad wheel bearing.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Oil was good.....no shavings, or heavy sludge.

I was thinking throout bearing, or pilot bearing...as it only happens when the car is in gear...I originally was thinking Waterp pump, or Alternator...but pulleys don't wiggle, temp is fine, and so is charging system. I even thought about the belt...but it is new, and at correct tension...plus...doest happen when not in gear...even when you mess with throttle...and go sudden revving. The car has no A/C (Hey..it's a convertible..go fast enough...the breeze'll cool ya off!)

(insert whiney kid voice here...)

BUT I DON WANNA DO A CLUTCH JOB!!!!!!!

Lol...guess it is time for the Centerforce.....SIGH

Steve
    87 3.1Turbo GT Spyder

It really sounds like the throw out bearing to me (there is no pilot bushing). Take it to a transmission shop to give you an estimate. When they put it up on the lift, look around a bit.

Steve:

Did you ever find out what was making the noise in your car?

Dave

Have you got a Cat. Converter. When they plug, you get sluggish preformance, although usually one of the check engine idiot lights luminate! I agree with the T.O. bearing (for screaming), but sluggishness?
    just a thought???
    Sandy