Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame painting question.

Frame painting question.

Hey Guys, I know I am not working on a kit car yet, but I was hoping you could help me. I have a 1969 GTO Judge and am doing a frame off restoration myself, and I have sandblasted the frame to bare metal. My question, do I need to or is it best to put epoxy primer on the frame prior to painting it with a gloss black frame coating?? I figured the same principles apply with my Goat as do with the kit cars. Thanks, JB

Re: Frame painting question.

first off nice car second call summit racing there are some primers they sell just for chassis and paints as well

Thanks Green! Have a great New Year. JB

you should use a acid etching primer first just to get rid of any tiny remaining rust spots, or some sort of sealer

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacneil
    Hey Guys, I know I am not working on a kit car yet, but I was hoping you could help me. I have a 1969 GTO Judge and am doing a frame off restoration myself, and I have sandblasted the frame to bare metal. My question, do I need to or is it best to put epoxy primer on the frame prior to painting it with a gloss black frame coating?? I figured the same principles apply with my Goat as do with the kit cars. Thanks, JB
    Not just a fine car.....but a wow car! Find the name Bartman here on the site, and pm him. He spent most of his life restoring and rebuilding muscle cars. He will be a big help to you I promise.

You have to do a build diary somewhere and let us watch this. I love those old Goats!

Mike

According to the company. POR15 is better if applied to bare metal not on top of an etching primer. And they say you can coat directly over rusted spots. The company actually says the more rust the better. The problem is, it's UV sensitive so anything that will see the light of day should get a top coat over the POR15. I know people who used it several years ago and it still looks as good as the day applied. It's really good stuff... Just make sure to wear gloves when applying. It WILL not wash off, period. It will wear off eventually if you get it on you.

I just did POR 15 I found in the local paint store worked great!!! but you throw away anything that touches the stuff, use gloves or your hands will be blacK for a week... I thought I would be careful, lol just use a brush or a couple of them... this have black spots on the driveway too us a drop cloth.. stuf works great!

Frankly, I've had good success with clean (side grinder) metal, then brushed-on Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, little wipe of spot putty in pinholes, then Rustoleum HammerTone Black, again brushed.

The shiny "lumpiness" looks good and it's super-invisible to touch-up, but it hides scrapes pretty well, also.

Forrest
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I haven't been very fond of using spray can paint on any exterior areas. It doesn't hold up very well. If I'm not using por from a can I'll use automotive acrylic enamels or urethane's from a spray gun. I would be curious as to how long that hammered spray can finish lasts.