Thread: Transmissions

Transmissions

Ok beside the expensive Porche trans for the longitudinal instalation and lets add "automatic" I'm too old to want to shift all the time anymore, there are the Toronado, Eldorado, or Riveara, and I know I saw some where and now I can't find it something about another series of trans's that could be used. It will be behind a crate 350/350 All help appreciated.

Re: Transmissions

Kennedy Engineering makes a adaptor to use the Audi 5000 trans
    Both the auto. and std. I'm going to use the auto in a Countach replica that I plan to get under way this winter I have many parts just need time to assembly them. Kennedy said they haven't had complaints from users of trans brakage . the trans are available from salvages and reasonable used in cars from 84 thru 88 and later ones look the same . don't know about the chysler trans the salvages don't speak very highly of them here in the Ozarks.
    Gene

I don't know if I'm understanding this right... are you looking for an automatic longitudinal tranny besides the Porsche 930 or G50?

The GM 425 or 325-4L you mentioned (Riviera, Toronado, Eldorado) look to be good alternatives. But since you wanted something different, you might try a RenaultR25 or UN1 (found in Eagle Medallions '87-'89). Should be good up to 400HP.

As far as I know, the Audi 5000 is based on a Porsche 901. In that case, they have been rated to about 275-300HP or 175-200ft*lbs of torque. To be fair, I haven't heard of anyone killing it using an engine with more HP/torque, but it also matters on how you drive it. I hope it works out for everyone though b/c I see a lot of people starting to use it.

I have a drivetrain section on my site that has a spreadsheet you can DL comparing many transmissions that I've run across. You might try looking at that.

Ya know I built my first project car 35 years ago and all we had was hot rod magazine and a mechanic down the street that thought he heard one time about some one who tried something. You guys show really take a second and appreciate how you can talk world wide or at least to all english speaking hobbiests of a similiar mind and go through a thousand ideas before you even walk into the garage. I don't pick up my fiero till next or the following week and already I've solved lots of questions and potential problems and been given lots of new ideas just sitting in the "nice warm living room" getten cold out there in Chi town.