Thread: 90* to 180* crankshaft

90* to 180* crankshaft

I am wondering if it is possible to replace the crank in an LS crate engine with a flat plane crank. I also heard that 90* cranks where actually 180* ones that got twisted by the manufacturer while its still hot, so I'm guessing this process can be repeated to get it back to its original 180* shape.

Re: 90* to 180* crankshaft

As far as I know all cranks are cast in the general shape, forged, then machined to final shape. Unless you have a true billet crank, where it is machined from one big block of steel.

As far as having a 180 crank in a GM LS engine it would have to be a billet made crank, lotta money, and the cam would have to be custom made for the valves to work properly.

Just curious as to why you would want to do that. You would have to be really motivated, because it would be a lot of work, not the least of which would be re-egineering the camshaft.

Single plane cranks vibrate more. Large rotating masses in the Chev motors would make it almost impossible to get the engine smooth.

I would have to agree, gain would not be cost effective. For what you would have in the GM LS engine converting it to a 180, for just a little more you could buy a Ferrari engine used. I've seen some on Ebay complete for 20k. Heck the crank alone will probably cost 5-6k. I've got a Bryant Forged Billet Steel crank for my Olds IRL motor and it costs something like 3k new. Yours would cost so moch more because there is nothing for them to go by.

Don't forget there is a reason for the strict maintenance schedule Ferrari has. In a word: Vibration. The motor will literally eat itself if not properly cared for. Why go to the expense and hassle of a 180 flat plane crank and all the vibration that comes with it, to turn out mild horsepower numbers of a stock 355, when with a little $ you can get the reliability and much higher HP from an American power plant? Or even a Japanese engine? If its the sound you looking for, get a vroom box or something to go with your huge HP engine! cost less and still sounds good. ;D Don't forget Shelby whooped Ferrari a$$ 3 times in a row with that formula at Le Mans.

If you want to switch to a 180 degree crank to chase "that" sound, build a set of 180 degree headers.

Then you get this sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZTbR6C6Lw
    Bow

i've never seen an under car set up like that. very nice

I like that look. To bad it is so hard to show off the bottom of a car.

I like the sound too. Is it hitting the rev limiter on acceleration?