Thread: 3.5 inch stretch?

3.5 inch stretch?

Well i've been reading a lot about different kits and i'm aware that about %70 of them are stretched kit's. I've never fully known how to do a stretch...if someone could tell me what is needed to make the Fiero 3.5" longer it would be awesome

Does the cradel mount in the same place?
    Does it need to be re-inforced

from what I figure i'd think that all that would have to be done is a piece of metal has to be put on the rear thats 3.5" long, however, i doubt thats the case...

~Where do you make the extension?
    ~What changes does this extension bring to the fiero (suspension changes? Engine mouting changes? Tranny changes? Wiring/tubing changes?)

Please clarify all this for me

Thanks a lot

~Steve-0
    Steven Rossi<br />~Kit Car Wanted~

Re: 3.5 inch stretch?

Steve,

What I did on my fiero was to cut the upper frame rail about 5-1/2 inches back from the firewall (in the engine compartment) and then I just cut straight down throught the sheet metal, lower frame rail and the engine cradel. The next step was to pull the rear of the car back about 4" or 5" so you have enough room to insert the reinforcements. Off hand I dont remember the exact sizes I used but I can find out for you. What you would then do is to insert the reinforcment into one side of the existing frame rails about 1-1/2 inches and then pull the car together so you have a gap of 3" and check and recheck the alighment then weld everything togheter. I wrapped plate steel around the stretched area to give it more strenght. some people just fill in the stretched area (I guess the choice is yours).

If you take your time, the stretch is relitaivly easy to do, just make sure you measure everything several times.

The only thing you should have to disconnect is the the large coolent lines, the air filter, and also you will have to move out of the way several brake lines and the wireing on the side panels just so you dont cut through them.

hope this helps

You can find some good picks on frame streching here:But if you happen to get a error message saying unable to locate web page wait a minute or two and the web page should switch and load.
    http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/j/...eperations.htm

Below are a couple of Bumper streches,but you will notice that they forgot the bumper shocks.This disipates energy in the event of an accident.

The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

In my opinion the best way to add 3 inches to a Fiero for the application of a 355 kit is not on the frame at all but in the area of the engine cradle. It is a very simple process to add 3 inches to the front of the cradle in effect moving the engine and axle centerline to the rear of the car. There is plenty of room to do this type of modification and it is relatively easy, inexpensive and quick.

First I would like to state that 3.5 inches will be too much. The correct measurement is 2 7/8 inches over the Fiero. I have done a 355-wheelbase stretch both ways (frame and cradle). The best way I have found and the most cost effective is to put a 2 7/8 stretch in the cradle on the front legs. Built a pad to move the rear mount ahead 2 7/8 and re-drill the mounting holes. Use the OEM mounting points.

I also used the Held Motorsports anti-bump steer conversion in the +3 width but the stock set up will work too. Most kits will need a +4 in this area but I have some other things going on here as well. The HMS kit will have coil over adjustable shocks with smaller coils necessary to clear the strut tower when you move the wheel centerline back 2 7/8. The entire process is pretty fast and easy to accomplish. The engine has plenty of room to scoot back toward the trunk. You make a mistake you can always try again or even change it back if you change your mind down the road. Alignment challenges are gone, stress issues on modified frame rails are gone as well.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

This turned out to be the way to go on my build.* I moved the top of the shock back in the shock tower to match the cradle stretch.* I did run into one challenge.* The top can only be moved back 2 7/8 inches.* My cradle is +3.* I don't think it will make much difference in the handling once everything is aligned.

Dave

Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I have a non stretch AD 355 kit and there isnt a big difference the overall length of the car is the same.

I also have an AD non-stretch I tried to upload a picture but it will not let me. I really like the AD kit and John is great but one thing I have notice that really bugs me and I will be changing or I guess I should say is modify is the door vent it looks to small to me and when I see your picture it shows up good. I think it should be larger to make up for the larger door. This is just my opinion and do not want to start anything but I see this as an issue that throws the car off.