Thread: 1st post hellos

1st post hellos

this is my first post and i want to officially say hi along with asking a few questions...
    I now have the time and capitol to embark on the kit car project that i have wanted to do since i was kid. I am not a master mechanic or fabricator by any means, but probably, like a lot on this board, i think i have the tenacity and proficiency to accomplish pretty much anything. With that being said, I really have no idea where to even start on this kind of thing short of buying a kit and a donor. There does not seem to be a lot of resources on the web for this, and if someone could point me towards some good threads to serve as a jumping off point that would be great. I also wouldnt mind maybe some suggestions on websites and companies that others have used as resources.

My project that i want to start is a replica porsche carrera GT. I am hoping to maybe be able to build it off of a old boxster frame but I am not sure how feasable that is. I guess the main thing i am looking for is guidance so I can really sit down and draw up some plans, timelines, parts lists, budget, and a general plan of attack. I hate starting anything without having some sort of plan in mind.

Thanks very much I am very excited to get this off the ground.

Re: 1st post hellos

First off - Welcome to the Forum.

You will find that their are many builders out there that will be willing to get you the info you are seeking. I have seen some Porsche conversions on here from time to time. One of our members jdorr2002 had completed a Porsche conversion some time ago. He may be able to give you some tips. I'm sure their are other Porsche forums out there as well doing conversions from older models. Unfortunately, I'm not very knowledgeable on Porsche's. Good luck with your project.

Welcome, are you from the usa or uk that makes a difference also unless you are stuck on building it yourself there or finished posche gt cars from uk and usa for sale here on the forum. if you want to build it yourself in the usa i would look up mike vetter he sells the kits and turnkeys

My advice would be to sit down and really think about what it is you want to accomplish with the build. When I started I wanted to build something simple but after I got into it I kept finding more and better customizations I just had to have.

Are you looking for something that is easier to build or is having an exact replica worth the extra effort required to make one. How important is the performance of the car compared to the looks. Are you wanting something that is showroom quality or something that while looks good also has the ability to take turns like a GT3. The more important an aspect is to you the more of your funds need to go into it.

Ask alot of questions here. You will be amazed the amount of knowledge some of these guys have.

Welcome and have fun.

michael
    mosul, iraq

Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Thanks for the replys guys. To answer your questions...I am from the US. Specifically I live in WV so my choices for close by companies are pretty limited since probably no one in the state does this kind of thing. Anytime I want to try something that requires effort and technical proficiency at anything I am limited to net resources only. Anytime I ask anyone around here to help me with somehng they don't often do, hey just give me a blank stare.
    I have looked at a few listings for gt's being sold, but I would much rather do it myself, I guess for no other reason than to say I did. I am not opposed to the idea of buying a completed kit or partially completed kit, ripping it apart and picking what parts I wanted to keep and what ones I wanted to buy new. I'm just a little freaked that I'll buy something and figure out it's rusted to bits when I start dismantle. I am willing to spend around 30k (spaced out over time of course) to reach my goals. My goal for this is to have a car that looks identical to a stock gt inside and out. I even have a few ideas on how to mold some peices for the engine bay to dress the engine up to look pretty close. I have made props and models for a long time. So as far as interior goes I think I can make what I need out of fiberglass or resin and have it upholstered or plated. I'm fairly confident I could make the interior look pretty close to the real deal totally from scratch if need be.
    It doesn't necesarily have to perform like one because I have no plans on tracking it, but I do want to give it some guts. Is a 600 hp v10 necessary? No of course not. But if I could keep the weight down and get 400 to the wheels I would be exstatic.
    As far as the frame goes I don't have to build it on a boxster frame I don't think. I would imagine it could be done off of a stretched fiero or firebird frame. I thought it would be better to go off a boxster frame to keep oem compatibility and provide different engine choices than what a Pontiac frame would offer. I would rather keep the engine away from GM if at all financially and practically possible. Not that I have anything against GM engines, but I'd rather keep as much as I can true import. But this may be stupidly pointless, I have no idea.