Thread: Fiero cables Extension help please!

Fiero cables Extension help please!

Hello,
    i'm extending an 86 Fiero, can anyone knowledgeable give me some tips or pictures or links to help with this extension?
    Like the Manual Shifter Cable, Select Cable, Throttle Cable, Brake lines, and emergency brake cable etc...
    and where the best place to buy these parts
    any help will be great
    Thanks

Re: Fiero cables Extension help please!

I lengthened my shift and select cables at the shifter 5 inches by using all thread, and modifying the mount points by moving them back also.

http://home.centurytel.net/project/Prep%20work2.htm

I havent done the brake lines yet, but looks like I might have enough there to just rebend/relocate. Like I said though, I'm only going 5 inches. More will surely require more line work.
    The throttle cable I have is from the original 84 four cylinder, and seems plenty long enough to reach for my purpose. Sorry I can't help you much there. Maybe aftermarket?

Kevin

Lambonut, little off topic but went to your build photos and totally impressed with your serpentine bracket you made. Good job bud!

Well, thank you!

I was also determined to go true dual exhaust with 2.5inch pipe and two mufflers. I made it from u-bends and such, and it fits good. I'll get pictures of that up on the site sometime.

OK, here is a teaser of the rough mock up.

Kevin

My build has a 9 inch stretch and I am using the Getrag 5 speed.

I was able to use a stock length select cable that I purchased from the Fiero Store. The Shift cable needed to be 9 inches longer. I purchased it from West Coast Fiero. It is pricey but also is adjustable on each end. There is a company in CA that makes custom motorcycle cables. I can't remember the name but they are probably the ones that supply West Coast Fiero with the cables. As far as the throttle. You should be able to use the stock length. If not, I can't help. Last the brake lines. It is difficult to find a line that will fit into the Fiero coupler and also couple into the original line. It's easier to just move the coupler forward with your stretch and replace the lines that run back to the brake hoses. (standard line)

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    Last the brake lines. It is difficult to find a line that will fit into the Fiero coupler and also couple into the original line. It's easier to just move the coupler forward with your stretch and replace the lines that run back to the brake hoses. (standard line)
    I thought the brake lines were metric with bubble flares, even going into the hoses and not standard.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Lambo Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    Last the brake lines. It is difficult to find a line that will fit into the Fiero coupler and also couple into the original line. It's easier to just move the coupler forward with your stretch and replace the lines that run back to the brake hoses. (standard line)
    I thought the brake lines were metric with bubble flares, even going into the hoses and not standard.

Kevin
    Kevin,
    You are correct, they are as you described. What I meant was that they are standard lines they don't have a special fitting like the other end of the coupler. I think I found them at NAPA or Advanced.

When I modified my cables, I relocated the mounting points right where the power window switches were! Just a word of caution; plan it out before you do anything too permanent!

With the brake lines, I suggest cutting them, flaring the ends and putting an extension piece in the middle. You should be able to find english sized lines that are close enough to work.

Quote Originally Posted by RHK
    When I modified my cables, I relocated the mounting points right where the power window switches were! Just a word of caution; plan it out before you do anything too permanent!

With the brake lines, I suggest cutting them, flaring the ends and putting an extension piece in the middle. You should be able to find english sized lines that are close enough to work.
    I had actually thought about the window switchs, then realized, I should be able to locate them where I want when I get to that point, as I will rebuild the whole center console from scratch.

Excellent idea on the brake lines! I had not thought of that soultion.

Kevin