Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 355 convertible design

Ferrari 355 convertible design

I am putting it on a different topic cause the other one is already on the 5th page. I had mentioned earlier that I was going to start designing a new top. Well I have completed the header (one that will fit direct with the fiero and that will be flush with the roof NOT OVERLAP like sunbird/cavalier) and built the frame around the window (still using the original fiero window seals so that no water gets in) Also it folds perfectly (like the real ferrari) Tomorrow I am going to start working on the back part (above the rear window) I want it to get the top to push up from the back so that it will look more like a real ferrari 355 not like the others were the back part of the top looks like it has nothing. I will post the pics once they get developed.

Re:Ferrari 355 convertible design

Thanks for keeping us updated! Lots of builders paying very close attention. Big market here for all the misc stuff to finish a car, & make it look correct, after the big fiberglass pieces are installed. Pop up headlight assys., folding convert tops, steering wheels, wide suspension & wheels, interiors, gauges, swing away rear view mirrors. What did I forget?

Need4spd,
    I am looking foward to seeing some of these photos. sounds like you are designing the same top set up that I was going to. Maybe now I wont have to. Are you planning of selling these or just telling everyone how and what you used to build it?

Quote Originally Posted by glenngdman
    Need4spd,
    I am looking foward to seeing some of these photos.

Are you planning of selling these or just telling everyone how and what you used to build it?
    ditto.......
    Attack Roadster, F355 Spyder, F512TR Coupe &amp; Diablo Roadster<br /><br />If only money grew on freaking trees!!!

I need a top too!

Need4spd:

Would you be kind enough to e-mail or post some shots of the header? I have figured out the folding part over the windows and tuck behind the seat, still out to lunch the header.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Ya once the film gets back then I will scan some of the photos and post then on the chat. The best part about the top is that it will cost less then $500.00 usd for everything. (if you still have the left overs from the cut roof)

A little update on what I am doing. When you cut the top normally it is 3in. behind the windshield. DON'T cut there yet. Cut 5in. back because that will be your header. If you take the fiberglass roof of you will see a hole for the sun roof cut the 2 end of and make that stright also remove the weather strip with the metal before cutting you will need it. Then you get 2 1in. thick square tubing and you place them on the ends in the hole and drill them in. With the windowa rolled up measure the tube to be 3/4in. past window then cut. Then measure another 1in. tube from the top to were it connects to the chase. Will I am going through trying to explan this but if I am confusioning my self then I will wait till the pics to get in. Trust me it is easy and you will only spend about $50.00usd in metal. As far as fabric that I don't know

Once you have the frame all set,the top is no problem,i made the patterns for my daytona top,and sent them to robbins auto top in cal.they made the tops for me in stayfast for only 300$.easy way to have a nice production top,it helped that i
    have a commercial machine of my own,but you can do a set of patterns on a home one also.
    mike

Updates. I have now completed the back portion of the convertible top and boy does it look good . I took more pics Ishould have all of the pics back by friday.