Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audi 5000 trans speedometer

Audi 5000 trans speedometer

What are all you guys with Audi transaxles using for speedometers?

Re: Audi 5000 trans speedometer

Im using the VDO clocks which run from magnets on the driveshafts, these will work on any transaxle , and are easy to programme

Quote Originally Posted by migwell
    Im using the VDO clocks which run from magnets on the driveshafts, these will work on any transaxle , and are easy to programme
    Do you have a part number or a more complete description?

I made a small bracket and mounted a GM ABS sensor close to the heads of the axle bolt heads, inboard.
    This gives me six pulses per axle revolution. Since the VDO head unit is programmable I can fine tune the head to be perfect.
    The sensor was one that came with the S-10 wheel bearing I used on the rear drive. The bearing is from a 2001 S-10 pick up 4X4 Front Bearing.

The speedo pick up I use with VDO clocks is from Demon Tweeks, can get the part number if you need it.

Just make a small bracket to hold the pick up which will sit close to the magnets, mine was just a small strip of metal screwed to the gearbox, then you bond either 3 or 4 magnets supplied in the kit to the driveshaft,(mine has 4 magnets bonded to the 1st part of the shaft coming out of the gearbox)
    (I would suggest using shielded wire from the pickup as I found mine was picking up other magnetic pulses from my wiring loom and giving false readings)
    once wired up, Its so easy to program, and there are various ways of doing this, I just drove mine on the motorway with satnav and set the current speed, past the vehicle inspection no problem.

Thanks for the tips. I am using Corvette C4 hubs on the rear. They already come with ABS sensors that "point" at a cogged wheel with what looks like about 60 "teeth".

1) Are these "teeth" magnets?
    2) Does this sensor provide the correct signal for the VDO?
    3) Is the VDO capable of being programmed for this many teeth? If not, could I knock some of the teeth out and end up with 4 or 6 and make it work?

You guys are providing a great service because the Audi/Corvette combo seems to be getting popular.

Brian

I don think that knocking teeth out would be a good idea. You could try these http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd109.htm

Jim said the gauge is programable and his way is a prooven method

I know these work with the Audi 5000 trans. I have to use one to get the V12 engine management i bought from tony @ choice auto wire to work and it connects directly to the trans w/ a slight modification

I tried to set it up with the ABS hub and sensor. It was reading 300MPH with a Snap-On scanner. It has far too many teeth on the ABS wheel. This is why I pointed it towards the axle bolts. No, the teeth are not magnets. Think of the sensor as a magnet on a spring, when it is close to metal it closes the circuit.
    http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-051.pdf
    Look at connection #2 on page 2. This is how to wire it.

I'm not sure abou the 016 (Audi 5000) trans, but my 012 and couple others that I had seen already have speedo signal ouing out from them and they are generaly .52 in ratio.
    Stupid question but why reinvent the wheel if its already provided

Quote Originally Posted by chimaera
    I'm not sure abou the 016 (Audi 5000) trans, but my 012 and couple others that I had seen already have speedo signal ouing out from them and they are generaly .52 in ratio.
    Stupid question but why reinvent the wheel if its already provided
    Because the electronic adapter is about $125.00. An ABS sensor can be had for nothing if you are building a replica chassis.