Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiero hand brake replacement options

Fiero hand brake replacement options

Hey guys,

What are my options? The fiero hand brake looks cheesy. Are there any other ones I can use? Can I mount it on the tunnel near the inside of the seat?
    Thanks ahead.

Paul
    Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
    White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
    White Gagliardi Vendetta
    Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016

Re: Fiero hand brake replacement options

I will be mounting mine between the seats also. Their are hundreds of cars at the junkees with that configuration. I haven't looked for one yet but I would imagine it should be a straight forward swamp.

The problem is the cable has to be pretty straight or large radius. Moving it to the center will require a new cable and I don't see how you could make it work without a tight turn in the cable.
    Well unless you put the rear calipers on the front ;D

One thing about the Fiero is that you can lower the lever and still have the parking brake set. IE, put on the brake, lower the lever so you don't trip over it while exiting the car. Of course, this is only a concern if you're keeping it in the stock fiero location.

I'd recommend trying to keep the mechanicals of the fiero brake lever, and use the handle and plastic pieces from another car. Maybe modify it such that another brake lever can fit over the Fiero one? Just thinking out loud there. IMHO what makes the fiero look funny is the orange button; maybe painting it black would do the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by RHK
    Maybe modify it such that another brake lever can fit over the Fiero one? Just thinking out loud there. IMHO what makes the fiero look funny is the orange button; maybe painting it black would do the trick?
    Very genius thinking. I took some detail pics of the setup this weekend. Just curious what other people have done? Is there not a cool aftermarket looking one? I saw this one on the vendetta:

Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
    White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
    White Gagliardi Vendetta
    Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016

I keep thinking about using a liner actuator. I know that the new Porsche's have an electric parking brake, but I have no idea (nor have I Googled it yet) how that make that work. But, a simple $100 4" through linear actuator would be very easy to install.

Now that I think of it a simple circuit hooked up to the ACC port of the key switch could set and release the linear actuator parking brake. I do not like how the parking brake rubs my leather seats. If I have time, I will build the circuit.

Sorry for the post, but I just found the circuit I used to power the linear actuator for my deck lid and it will work for this. I will order a linear actuator and see if I can get this done. I will put it on my to do list for next week.

The boss liked the idea and I ordered the parts. Once I get the R&D done, we will be marketing this product.

I was designing a circuit with a lot of redundancy when I decided to not over engineer it. Two relays will work. I will have my car on the lift this weekend, and I will see if I can design the brackets to house the linear actuator in the cradle or inside the car.