Thread: Body Repairs on Kitcars (especially Ferraris)?

Body Repairs on Kitcars (especially Ferraris)?

Hi,

Anyone know if body repairs on kit cars are more or less costly than regular body repairs since they're constructed of fiberglass instead of metal? Or is it all the same?

Also, do you have to go to a specialty body shop that deals in kit cars to do your repairs or can any body shop do body work on a kit car and order the appropriate parts?

one last question, can you replace damaged body parts with the real thing, like a real ferrari fender, or will there be a problem with correct fit and installation?

Thanks,
    FerrariMPH

FerrariMPH@hotmail.com

Re: Body Repairs on Kitcars (especially Ferraris)?

Body repairs on fiberglass are really not that difficult. Of course, that depends on teh repairs needed

by the time you have finished building a kit car, you'll know just about everything there is to know about repairing fiberglass so it's a no brainer.

As far as WHERE to go... any bodyshop will have the knowhow to repair fiberglass.

Having a good kit manufacturer or source for those parts is important if you loose or have to replace an entire panel. Another good point of the Mirage argument... the finders, bumpers, fasicias, etc are all separte parts so if you need one replaced, you don't need the ENTIRE clip!

As for using authentic 355 parts, depending on the kit and what part you are replacing, YES. With IFG clones, the entire front and rear ends are a SINGLE part, so you could not replace any of those parts but perhaps a mirror or other smal part.

Speaking of which, I have real 355 mirrors on my car as they are "break away" mirrors. That means if/when they get bumped, they collapse rather than crack or break off. The 355 mirrors stick SO FAR out to the sides that they are BOUND to get whacked in a parking lot someplace.

Good question

DKOV -

I thought the Mirage has been shrunken down from the real 355 to fit the fiero chasis, and therefore authentic body panels would be slightly too big?

Not everywhere... For instance, stock Ferrari 355 and 348 quater glass is a stright fit. 355 lights and lenses are a striaght fit after removing the molded lense "wells". I've heard, not verified, that the front fenders are a direct bolt on for real 355 fenders. Rear glass is a direct fit.

The Mirage is like 2% reduced so things are just [-----] far off

If I ever decide to pay the God awful amount for real 355 rear glass, I'll let you know just how cloes it was

DKOV -

what if you don't know who the manufacturer of the kit is? I know it's not a mirage, because the side scoops are both on the door and the fenders and bumper are all one piece.

ANy idea how i'd tell if its B&B or IFG, etc.??

FerrariMPH

Mostly likely an IFG clone. If it has seperate froot an rear bumpers, yet the doors are one solid piece, that means in might come from one of the many somewhat illegitimet Flordia kit car manufacturers. If the bumpers aren't seperate you can assume its a IFG clone.

If its a coupe, you can tell by whether the roof is curved or not if its a IFG (IFG's aren't curved as far as I know)

is IFG still in business if I were to ever crash my car and need to order parts?

kitcarnut

That my friend is one good question. last July I got in rearend collision,not much, rear bumper gone and few little cracks /scratches.now It end up in topend Collision shop.but no one knew where to get parts.after few weeks we dont wanu do it.so insurance call one of Lambo Kit car maker ask how much for bumper? $900US. OK, to Canada transport,duty,tax ,$exchange etc. labour to fit my body style and paint the whole car (3 stage Pearl) here is $9k. Mechanical was other 22hundred.(separate claim) Or we'll write the car off! Great,but I did not have up-dated value appraisal, so car register as 92 is worth now as around 5K. less deductible 2K.you got the picture. I took the 9K and bought the bumper for $250. I was lucky I found the man who has my body molds. So make sure you'll get proper Value Appraisal insure your car for that 40-60Grand and enjoy driving it.If s* hit happens, at last you get you money out of it.LOL buy spare body just incase,if collision happens it'll pay 10times over.

thanks for the info guys.