Thread: another clutch question!!

another clutch question!!

Before digging into all the possibilities, some help please!! My clutch is now acting up and not allowing me to select gears while the engine is running. I will adjust the pushrod to get proper clutch function, and then drive the car flawlessly for an hour. After letting it sit for awhile, the pedal goes soft, and it won't go into gear. There is no evidence of fluid loss. Another adjustment, and away I go again, and then the whole cycle repeats itself. The Haynes Manual says the clutch hydraulics are self adjusting, so I assume I need no freeplay at the pushrod; just a bit on the pedal. Would air in the system cause this, or are there other possibilities. (I am hoping not clutch removal at this point!) Thanks in advance! Steve (F40 in Mexico)

Re: another clutch question!!

By what you are describing it sounds as though it's in the hydraulics not the clutch. The slave or the clutch cylinder is bad. I would recommend to replace them both and bleed out the system.

I thought the same as you, but bad master and slave cylinders would show up with fluid leaking somewhere, would it not? There is no fluid loss- the reservoir is at a constant level.

I agree with MacGyver Steve. While I am no expert sounds like an internal seal has gone bad somewhere in the hydrualics. I bet a few more adjustments of the pushrod then that trick won't do it either.

just my .02 cents worth.

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

you may have the cluch forks over the release bearing they are suppose to be between the bell housing and the bearing.

As pictured.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

How do you adjust the pushrod? Is it an aftermarket adjustable rod?

I had one clutch slave that would not leak but it would draw air in.
    I had to bleed it every day and it would work fine. Never did it leak.
    I changed the slave and the problem was solved.

IF your pushrod is getting longer and longer it could be the release bearing breaking up or it could be the piston is just retracting into the bore. Either way the system will self adjust for it.

Thanks for the input guys, the pushrod is not stock, and has threads on it at the clutch arm. Slave cyl is new, and I doubt the release bearing and arm are misaligned, as the thing works normally after pushrod adjustment. Steve

There are 2 ways to permanatly fix the Fiero clutch headache. (If I'm reading your post right)
    By what you describe... your (new)slave is constantly leaking air past its seal. I'll bet (to prove things), place some vicegrips on the pushrod, open the slave bleeder, and push the rod/piston back in the slave.... got some bubbles!!!@! DO NOT LET GO OF THE PUSHROD BEFORE CLOSING BLEEDER.... or things will be worse! So... the two fixes...
    1) Go onto Pennocks forum and search for MR2 slave seal. Someone discovered that the useless Fiero slave piston seal can be replaced by an MR2 seal (much better/ double lip), bleed, and never have another problem!
    2) Buy a 2lb Wilwood risidual pressure valve and put it just after your master, bleed system and it will always retain a small amout of pressure, therefore not allowing the slave to leak! The small amount of pressure will not adversely affect your release bearing.... mine has been in there for 5 years!
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/A...-2-018816.html
    Either of these fixes will correct your Fiero slave/clutch headaches...
    best,
    Sandy