Thread: help choose fiero donor

help choose fiero donor

I've been looking for a donor for a 328 conversion. I found 2 fieros in the lower
    states and can't seem to make up my mind about which one to choose. Care
    to give some pointers and help me out with my choice?

Candidate #1 86 GT 5spd V6
    PROS
    - Hardtop (I want this since I don't know any ferraris with a sunroof).
    - Don't have to do emission tests in ontario
    - AC system is hooked up, converted and ice cold
    - no rust
    - some sort of chip that advances timing
    - test pipe (not sure if it's a pro or con)
    - 95k miles
    - interior in decent shape
    CONS
    - has an engine leak (owner says previous owner forgot to put a seal when
    changing clutch)
    - running rich (that chip makes the car run very rich)
    - some of the things not working (upper engine mount cracked, lights don't go up (owner says relay), breaks might need a change)
    - car sales man (might be sleazy)
    Candidate #2 (88 GT 5spd v6)
    PROS
    - being an 88
    - no rust
    - the chip
    - underdrive Power Pulley
    - current owner is an older man
    CONS
    - need to emission test in ontario
    - has a sunroof (might need to modify to hardtop or have a ferrari with sunroof)
    - ac is out of the car
    - 163k miles so engine is ticking and burning oil
    - some of the things not working (trunk release, cruise control, one of the power door locks)
    - a bit more $

So what do you guys think? Are the improvements in the 88 worth it?

Re: help choose fiero donor

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari328
    I've been looking for a donor for a 328 conversion. I found 2 fieros in the lower
    states and can't seem to make up my mind about which one to choose. Care
    to give some pointers and help me out with my choice?

Candidate #1 86 GT 5spd V6
    PROS
    - Hardtop (I want this since I don't know any ferraris with a sunroof).
    - Don't have to do emission tests in ontario
    - AC system is hooked up, converted and ice cold
    - no rust
    - some sort of chip that advances timing
    - test pipe (not sure if it's a pro or con)
    - 95k miles
    CONS
    - has an engine leak (owner says previous owner forgot to put a seal when
    changing clutch)
    - running rich (that chip makes the car run very rich)
    - some of the things not working (upper engine mount cracked, lights don't go up (owner says relay), breaks might need a change)
    - car sales man (might be sleazy)
    Candidate #2 (88 GT 5spd v6)
    PROS
    - being an 88
    - no rust
    - the chip
    - underdrive Power Pulley
    - current owner is an older man
    CONS
    - need to emission test in ontario
    - has a sunroof (might need to modify to hardtop or have a ferrari with sunroof)
    - ac is out of the car
    - 163k miles so engine is ticking and burning oil
    - some of the things not working (trunk release, cruise control, one of the power door locks)
    - a bit more $

So what do you guys think? Are the improvements in the 88 worth it?
    I am using a '86 gt. Yanked out the four speed that was in it and going back with a 2m4 5-speed since I am putting in a 4.9 V-8 and the gearing ratio was better for the power curve than the getrag 5. If handling is a big plus for you I think you will be happier with the '88; was not a concern for me because I am building my suspension pretty much from scratch. Only negative is that replacement parts for that suspension will be harder to find used. Maybe if you give an idea of the price spread between them it would give us more ideas. As far as the roof you can replace the roof from another donor so dont let that stop you on the '88. All fiero frames are engineered to have sunroofs possible only big diferrance is the roof panel and headliner.

I would go with the '86. Lower miles, less $$$, solid roof like you want, a/c works. Just my .02 cents worth.

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Price difference... 88 is $150 more.

About the 86:
    -chances are it has the more desirable Getrag transmission.
    -all of the cars have the hole in the steel cut for the sunroof. The exterior panel/roof could easily be swapped for a hardtop with little issue. I wouldn't make the choice based on that.
    -Fiero's have a special way to set the timing. You must put a jumper in the A and B pins of the ALDL before you set the timing. (this takes a paper clip and about 30 seconds)
    -A rebuild kit is available to repair the headlights. Costs less than $50. Even then, a new motor is $50 each. I'd seriously doubt it's the relay.

I'd say the only real gain in the 88 is the suspension.

How can you tell there's no rust? One good indicator is to pull back the carpet in the trunk- on the sidewalls, you can see the condition of the frame. They've all got rust, and most have a rust hole all the way through the frame in my experience...

If the price difference is only $150, I'd guess the 88 is too cheap, or the 86 is too expensive. I'd say an average shape 86 GT is worth about $2000, and an 88 around $4500.

or you could by my v8 fiero.85 gt with 383 TPI 4t60 trans.everything on the car has been replaced.vette brakes,coilovers in rear.much much more.i was going to use it for a replica,dont have the heart to cut it all up once i was done.needs a few minor tweeks and it would be 100%

john

also question for the ones that drove 84-87 and the 88. Are the upgrades in the 88 that
    noticeable? ie. is it a night/day difference or can one live without.

Quote Originally Posted by stryker
    or you could by my v8 fiero.85 gt with 383 TPI 4t60 trans.everything on the car has been replaced.vette brakes,coilovers in rear.much much more.i was going to use it for a replica,dont have the heart to cut it all up once i was done.needs a few minor tweeks and it would be 100%

john
    Now THAT sounds like an option. You are going to have to spend the money to do all that anyway. You might as well get one that already has a lot of it done.

After building an AD355 on an 88 GT chassis, I would say that I would not do it again. If you are NOT going to modify the suspension (wide track, wheel spacers, changing the rims to rims with different off sets), then the 88 offers no advantage except for the C4 brake kit. Please also note that the 88 front bearings are not replaceable. After driving many STOCK 84-87 and 88 Fieros, I can clear say that the 88s do handle better and drive easier. Take the front suspension on the 88s. The scrub radius was widened half an inch. This means the front suspension is wider moving the brake closer to the outside of the rim. This results in more natural driving on the freeway. The car wanders less. I see many 88 owner change rims to 38mm off set which pushes the rims 1/2" out (which looks cool), but totally negates what is better in the front suspension. This is where I mention the 88 front bearings being 20+ years old and that you cannot get them anywhere. There use to be less strong units sold for $300 plus, but they have sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brastic
    After building an AD355 on an 88 GT chassis, I would say that I would not do it again. If you are NOT going to modify the suspension (wide track, wheel spacers, changing the rims to rims with different off sets), then the 88 offers no advantage except for the C4 brake kit. Please also note that the 88 front bearings are not replaceable. After driving many STOCK 84-87 and 88 Fieros, I can clear say that the 88s do handle better and drive easier. Take the front suspension on the 88s. The scrub radius was widened half an inch. This means the front suspension is wider moving the brake closer to the outside of the rim. This results in more natural driving on the freeway. The car wanders less. I see many 88 owner change rims to 38mm off set which pushes the rims 1/2" out (which looks cool), but totally negates what is better in the front suspension. This is where I mention the 88 front bearings being 20+ years old and that you cannot get them anywhere. There use to be less strong units sold for $300 plus, but they have sold out.
    i dont really want to get into the which car is a better donor debate but.......

1988 fiero wheel bearings
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-19...Q5fAccessories

Patron Class Member
    Hello Mikebrnch,
    is the V8 fit to the fiero transmission or you had to repace the engine and the transmission?
    Thank you
    rickwr88