Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel options with Rob's Interior on AD 355

Steering wheel options with Rob's Interior on AD 355

I am doing finishing touches my 355 build and would like see hear what others have done to have a nice looking Steering wheel without the ugly adapter. The car is at Deans getting the convertible work finished. Thought about the Sebring column but would still have to use an adapter for what ever steering wheel I would use. Can not find the place were some one talked about using a BMW wheel and somehow making it work without an adapter. Is there any suggestion on how to move the wheel closer to windshield so looks better with Rob's interior and give you more room if I am left with using stock Fiero column.

Thanks Ed

Re: Steering wheel options with Rob's Interior on AD 355

If you used the Sebring column that would end the issue of the steering wheel being out to far. The sebring unit is shorter and fits the stock mounting locations well. As far as the steering wheel is concerned. You could modify the center airbag area to simulate the 355 OEM look or use a different wheel. An adapter would not be necessary. It is possable to press the spline out of the Sebring wheel and have a machine shop adapt it into another wheel. On my build I am planning on doing just that with a Ferrari OEM wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicilian
    I am doing finishing touches my 355 build and would like see hear what others have done to have a nice looking Steering wheel without the ugly adapter. The car is at Deans getting the convertible work finished. Thought about the Sebring column but would still have to use an adapter for what ever steering wheel I would use. Can not find the place were some one talked about using a BMW wheel and somehow making it work without an adapter. Is there any suggestion on how to move the wheel closer to windshield so looks better with Rob's interior and give you more room if I am left with using stock Fiero column.

Thanks Ed
    Hey Ed, this is a little off topic, but I would like to see pictures of how your did your top. Its one part of my build that I have no idea what I am going to do. I am looking for ideas. Thanks.

This is close but getting it to mate to the fiero column could be interesting. I'm going to try it on the sebring column.

Dean has started posting pictures of convertible top. He plan on being able to duplicate it so can sale it to others. I was there yesterday and saw the progress. Other shops I have taken the car to have only talked about doing it. Dean is the first one to see it come to life. I am fortunate to have him so close. Ed

Quote Originally Posted by sactodreamer
    This is close but getting it to mate to the fiero column could be interesting. I'm going to try it on the sebring column.

That wheel is unbelievably close. If I didn't already have an OEM wheel, I would be on the hunt for one of those!

here are some short wheel adapters by NRG.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=nrg...sacat=0&bkBtn=

I took the hub off of the Fiero wheel and then mounted it to F355 steering wheel. It fits the column nice, and took about 20 minutes worth of work. I'll try to get some detail pictures next time I go to the garage.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Here is the Fiero hub on an OEM wheel. You drill the holes for the screw locations, and then run the screws from the inside of the wheel. They thread into the threaded holes on the hub.

The Fiero trim ring also fits. I plan on just wrapping this trim ring with leather when I get the upholstery done.