Thread: Suggestions for a stereo system

Suggestions for a stereo system

Trying to decide what type of stereo I will put in my F40 since I am building some of the interior stuff here. I don't need a cd player and am not interested in having a 'full size' receiver in dash unit. Anyone know of a smaller unit that can be mounted flat, with just a FM, ipod port, and maybe an usb jack to play thumb drives? Needs to be able to be wired through the car speakers of course. Not a huge stereo guy, will not be trying to blow out my car windows with decibles, the car will be a special occasion driver, just want something to listen to on occasion. Don't want anything expensive.

Recommandations welcome. Thanks for looking.

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Re: Suggestions for a stereo system

Why not use something like this mobile phone. I know its unorphodox but it might suit your needs. Im thinking of doing something similar myself. You could have a cradel where it just plugs into. I recently bought this phone and it only cost me 40 brand new in the Orange mobile store.

It has an FM radio, audio player (mp3) and a 3.5mm jack socket which can easily connect to an amp.

you could have a cradel and just pop it in when you use the car And its touch screen. Nice

I had considered something like that. Just didn't know how to run it through the car speakers with out a receiver unit. A 3.5 jack running from the phone to an amp then the speakers wires running from the amp would work right? How well does the FM receiver work on cell phones like this?

michael

I had a friend that built a car with a marine stereo. A lot of them have capabilities for a wired remote... so he mounted the stereo hidden in the trunk and ran the wired remote up between the seats and tucked it away in the console.

Also, although a little expensive, you may want to look at Secret Audio, they specialize in hidden systems for street rods and stuff. They have some good stuff.

http://www.secretaudio.com/

Quote Originally Posted by F40 LM
    I had considered something like that. Just didn't know how to run it through the car speakers with out a receiver unit. A 3.5 jack running from the phone to an amp then the speakers wires running from the amp would work right? How well does the FM receiver work on cell phones like this?

michael
    Ye thats how you'd wire it. On my phone the 3.5mm cable is the antenna. im not sure how well it would work wiring it to the am, but i plan on doing that. I also will be using the supplied headset cable and wiring it in such a way that I can use the handsfree via the amp so i can use it as a phone on loudspeaker. Theoretically it should work. Hope to start on it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Daz

Thanks for the advice guys. tobygaff I will take a look at the marine radios tonight, they are all 12 volt too correct?

dazzarai please let me know how your set up does. Since I was getting an Iphone when I get back anyway I will see if it uses a 3.5 jack, if so I will buy one of these docking stations on ebay and try it out. If it doesn't work out like I want I will only be out say $20.

michael
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I just bought one of these this week..

It's a single DIN unit and has a tuner and SD card slot and a MP3 input and optional ipod interface that controlls the ipod from the reciever. It has decent power with 18 rms watts per channel (50x4 max) and will power your speakers decently without overkill..

There is no cd player.. Just load your music onto SD memory cards and you are set..

Oh, and they are fairly inexpensive and there is no cd drive to go bad like you see so many aftermarket radios..

You can get a new one for about $100 shipped http://www.amazon.com/Blaupunkt-Melb.../dp/B000SO36PO

Blaupunkt is a nice enough brand for exotics and for $100 it looks good without being too fancy..

The docking station would be my choice as well. You can run the jack to a hidden amp anywhere in the car and have a ton of music on a cheep memory card. The marine radio although a good idea probably has a wireless remote like many of the auto units. If so, you would need line of sight in order for it to work. If it was wired it would work fine except if you were using a CD and wanted to change it. Some years back I built a VW with a custom dash and installed the radio in the glove box out of sight. It was a pain in the butt to reach over every time I wanted to change the channel or replace the CD.