Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion Re Toyota MR2??

Opinion Re Toyota MR2??

I'm a newbie, so I am be interested in opinions from builders of what they think about using an MR2 turbo as a donor car - what are the pros and cons of its chassie, susension, braking systems, handling, reliability, etc compared to a Fiero or other common inexpensive donor?
    Thanks. I appreciate your advice.

Re: Opinion Re Toyota MR2??

Quote Originally Posted by busguy
    I'm a newbie, so I am be interested in opinions from builders of what they think about using an MR2 turbo as a donor car - what are the pros and cons of its chassie, susension, braking systems, handling, reliability, etc compared to a Fiero or other common inexpensive donor?
    Thanks. I appreciate your advice.
    Im using MR2 on my Enzo and also own Fiero based kits, and to be honest they are both the same. My toyota decided to randomly over heat after being drivin for abotu 2 hrs, and my Fiero runs great but is underpowered and has no power steering

I've never owned a Fiero but have owned 5 MR2s so far. 4mk 2s and an MRS as my current project car.
    As with all cars of this age there are good and bad examples out there. I love them!
    That said my v6 swap has turned out to be a bit of a mare for the new owner (think he was testing the uprated clutch and has lunched the tranny) and I stupidly over tuned one of my turbos that used to eat head gaskets for a pastime; my fault - Toyota reliability is normally pretty good. I had an N/A that I put HUGE miles on and another Sunday driver turbo that I wish I still had.
    They are generally newer than a fiero so you would guess it handles better (assuming you can find a good one) but I bet tuning stuff is cheaper for the fiero. My choice would be MR2 but that's because it's what I know and is that bit of a later generation car. Watch out for the cost of coil over shocks though. They can be pretty darn steep!
    Just my 2c but I would guess the fiero faithful have similar good reasons and let's face it, both cars sold by the truck load so you probably won't got wrong if you can find a good one of either!

In my openion mr2 vs Fiero would be hard to judge. I think it would depend on the kit. The real drawback on the Fiero is that it is an old car. You really need to redo just about everything to have it right. The Interior of the Fiero is also very outdated and will need to be changed. Power steering is very rare and would be costly to convert it from the manual steering. On the plus side would be the choice of powerplants. Many different motors can be used from 4 cylinder to an 8. Stretching the Fiero is fairly straight forward. There are speciality shops that produce many accessories that are designed for it. The MR2 is a slightly newer car. I'm not sure if they have an air bag. If so, that would certainly be a plus. The interior looks less dated than the Fiero. Especialy the dash. Unlike the Fiero you don't have as many options with the powerplant. Both cars have there drawbacks and their positive features.

Quote Originally Posted by *fill-up*

Im using MR2 on my Enzo and also own Fiero based kits, and to be honest they are both the same. My toyota decided to randomly over heat after being drivin for abotu 2 hrs, and my Fiero runs great but is underpowered and has no power steering

You can't be serious, right?? the Fierio and MR2 are the SAME?? same as far as what??

I've had been thru 5 Fieros and 2 MR2s (second Gen 1990-1995) and it's like comparing applies and oranges - NO comparison....The MR2, especially the Turbo is hands down a much BETTER car than any Fiero out there, including the improved 88' Fieros.

The MR2 4-cyl Turbo is a ROCKET....is build very solid, it's modern, it has a terrific interior and very reliable drivetrain, better brakes, great shifting etc...The Fiero is OLD technology, old-looking interior, ugly dash layout, but reliable engine and easy to work on, removable plastic panels (no rust on panels at least), good looks and cheap to run and maintain...but that's it!

The 2nd Gen MR2s are rare and more of a future "collectible" than the Fiero will ever be....Too many Fieros were produced...

Granted the Fiero is easier to cut up and modify than the MR2 but the Turbo MR2 is a Rare find and the Turbo hardtop is even more rare....

My vote is for the MR2 Turbo hands down as a replica donor, if one can be found in good running condition with a strong motor...Unfortunately these cars are not easy to come by and they are not cheap to buy.

Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Quote Originally Posted by goyal99

You can't be serious, right?? the Fierio and MR2 are the SAME?? same as far as what??

I've had been thru 5 Fieros and 2 MR2s (second Gen 1990-1995) and it's like comparing applies and oranges - NO comparison....The MR2, especially the Turbo is hands down a much BETTER car than any Fiero out there, including the improved 88' Fieros.

The MR2 4-cyl Turbo is a ROCKET....is build very solid, it's modern, it has a terrific interior and very reliable drivetrain, better brakes, great shifting etc...The Fiero is OLD technology, old-looking interior, ugly dash layout, but reliable engine and easy to work on, removable plastic panels (no rust on panels at least), good looks and cheap to run and maintain...but that's it!

The 2nd Gen MR2s are rare and more of a future "collectible" than the Fiero will ever be....Too many Fieros were produced...

Granted the Fiero is easier to cut up and modify than the MR2 but the Turbo MR2 is a Rare find and the Turbo hardtop is even more rare....

My vote is for the MR2 Turbo hands down as a replica donor, if one can be found in good running condition with a strong motor...Unfortunately these cars are not easy to come by and they are not cheap to buy.

Sorry for the confusion but I didn't mean a turbo MR2, I met the stock nonturbo MR2. I'm using a 1992 on my enzo build and a 1987 Fiero on my F355 spider. The Mr2 has given me problems here and there but seems like it is a little better handling than the fiero, and has an airbag. But then again getting a tune up on my MR2 cost me $400, while the fiero tune up costs a little under $200. The fiero I feel has more power when I punch it but the mr2 is nice also. But the turbo MR2 is defintly the best but here in Chicago the lowest price one I have seen in the past year has been $6000, but you can barely find them for under $8k. So for that price I would chose an NSX donor

Question... Is the MR2 Turbo 2000cc's?

Also which year would be the best donor and what would you guys say should be the max kilos the donor car should have?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrghini

Also which year would be the best donor and what would you guys say should be the max kilos the donor car should have?
    Mine has 144k, but I would recommend getting lower miles

The US MR2 Turbos MK II all had 2.0L Turbo 3S-GTE engine producing 200 hp (149 kW) and all came with a 5-speed M/T....I believe the JDM (Japaneese Domestic Market) Turbos produced more HP, around 260hp because of different Turbo unit and ECU mapping.

The US non-Turbo MR2 MK II had a larger disp. engine 2.2L but only produced 130 hp.

The second Gen MR2 (MK II) SW20 (1990-1998) were longer and heavier at 2700 lbs than the later and shorter MKIII MR2 Spyders (2000+) at 2155 lbs. These specs are for USA cars - MR2s in Japan were slightly different.

Cheers

Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Mine has 144k, but I would recommend getting lower miles
    Do you mean you started a project with a donor car that had 144k's? Or an MR2 you use has already clocked 144k's and still running?

Either way I would surely start a project with less k's then that but thanks for the info.