Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Self adhesive Carbon Fiber Sheet Experiences?

Self adhesive Carbon Fiber Sheet Experiences?

Hello,

Anyone have an experience (good or bad) with the self adhesive carbon fiber vinyl sheets that they are selling on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=50447

I see that there are several options out there.. any of them better than the other and any of them I should totally stay away from?

It looks like a really cool way of wrapping some large interior and exterior parts to give it the carbon fiber look (door panel bottoms, console or console panels, bat wings, door sill plates, etc).

Anyone know if it'll take a clear coat to give it some depth and protect it?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Self adhesive Carbon Fiber Sheet Experiences?

I got a few parts coated here and there on my bikes. I have not cleared them. I no longer use carbon sheets. I am a big fan of hydro-dipping parts in carbon. It looks better then the real deal! It also complete cover littke hooks, dips, etc. goes around covers and leaves no start/finish lines. Google hydro-dipping or youtube it.
    Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
    White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
    White Gagliardi Vendetta
    Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016

Quote Originally Posted by madmods
    I got a few parts coated here and there on my bikes. I have not cleared them. I no longer use carbon sheets. I am a big fan of hydro-dipping parts in carbon. It looks better then the real deal! It also complete cover littke hooks, dips, etc. goes around covers and leaves no start/finish lines. Google hydro-dipping or youtube it.
    What is Hydro Dipping?

Chris,

the 3M product is great stuff and IMO the closest thing to real CF. But be aware, YOU CAN'T clear coat it. It will turn completely black (I've tried). The reason: the CF effect is based on stamping of the vinyl, it's not a color print. BTW, Ford used this product on the dash board of their CF Mustang at last year's SEMA show.

I recommend the 3rd gen stuff that has depth and just a hair of texture to it. Funny you should post the question, playing around with my switch panel tonight and trying some of the stuff out.

michael
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Thanks guys..

I checked out the Hydro Dipping process and I'll admit that it's really cool, it just doesn't look like a DYI project and would be something I'd need to farmed out.

So from what I'm hearing from you guys is that the 3M product is good stuff.

I watched a video where a guy used actual carbon mat and a 4 or 5 step process and wrapped some parts. The whole process took two days with cure time ect and I'm sure that the materials will set you back a little.

I supppose that I'm looking for something with the best of both worlds. Something that is affordable and easy to apply and has that convincing 3D fiber look and depth or real carbon. But I'm also wanting something that can be clear coated for durablity or touched up and / or buffed out when it becomes dull.

How durable is the 3M stuff you guys are using and do you know how it stands up to UV?

BTW the switch cluster looks really good. I've never seen that pattern before and the fiber has some really good depth to it (very convincing stuff!).

Thanks again,

Chris

if you want a real looking carbon fiber look, go with 3m di noc wrap. there are some great videos on you tube to show you how good this stuff is

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/
    I will be doing the roof of my Chrysler 300 with this stuff
    The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

I've used the carbon sheets on the roof of my car before, it looks just like real carbon. its a thin sheet of foil stamped to resemble carbon fiber and has a glossy depth to it. But the bad is over time it fads to purple and when I took it off it stained my paint job so there little purple dots off over my car lol

I agree , 3m di noc looks like the best of them .I 'll try to find the manufacturor for best price .I think its made in JAPAN ....

If you guys need some help just ask because I live in Japan. Let me know what you want if you can't get it where you are, I can get it for you.