Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the fiero door be shortened?

Can the fiero door be shortened?

I have been seriously considering the B&B 355. I was wondering if the door can be cut *to allow modification of the lower rocker panel. Possibly seperating it completely from the kit and re installing it?

This is a picture of the B&B 355 That I Modified in photoshop

Any thoughts on this? Can it be done?
    The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

Re: Can the fiero door be shortened?

I have been in contact with someone in fla that does work with the fiero doors and seperates panels here is a pic of a 3" version.

the pic was a little dark excuse the quality-email me and i'll give you his address

I have seen that pic before... unfortunately i dont think the methood that that guy used will help me. The air intake is way to big and really takes away from the actuall 355 profile. As well, the lower rocke panel in that kit is also too "thin" looking.

So far I think I may have to cut the actuall door to get a proper look.

I think I'll have to cut the lower part of the door frame and have it welded in place on the chassis.

if you do it let all of us know how!! I know most of us IFGer's would love to get the fix

Well I have yet to decide if and when I'll take on my project... i am doing alot of research on the whole idea first. But it seem so siple to just cut the lower portion of the door.

I am lucky enough to have one of the best car customizers/restorer in the atlanta area in the warhouse next door- we looked at the doors on my stripped fiero and the skins to the 355 kit and we found that cutting more than 1" off the door would result in the windows not being able to lower. If you cut the entire scoop off the lower door and the corresponding amount from the fiero door the window cant lower b/c there is the scissor lift there + the window is too tall. the only way it could be done is if you custom built the inner door and trimmed the window down and custom fab' the lift(BIG $$$). plus if you do that, adding 4" to the lower part of the door opening would make it impossible for anyone over 5ft tall to enter the car if there was a roof. Doing all of this work would result in a Diablo-esk build. Now, after seeing pics of the Mirage kit, having an IFG kit, seeing the pics of B&B kit, if you had 1 of each we think that a "hybrid" could be acheived to create the most exact replica of a 355. Someone should consider this if they are going into the kit business that has access to mirages, hint DKOV

Funny that someone should ask this particular question because for my F-50 kit from www.bodykitz.com I have to cut 2.5 inches off the bottom of the door. There appears to be some work involved in reattaching the tracks for the windows, but they will still operate. They won't go all the way down afterwards. There are some pictures on the website of a frame with the doors cut. This is the only issue with the F-50 kit that I am really hesitant about doing. Thanks heavens I have a couple of sets of doors to mess with just in case.

The 355 kit door skins are at least an inch taller than the Fiero door skins. That gives you guys an extra inch.

By the Way... the real Ferrari window doesn't go all the way down. So there is another inch.

the guy that built the red car trimmed a small amount off the door and got a new set of doors-problem, the upper vent looks too big and the lower vent looks too small. second problem the "line from the rocker panel doesnt line up with the "ridge" on the front and rear bumpers as does the yellow car above. to get the yellow car's effect one would have to mount the door as usual and mark on the fiero door where the line for the rocker panel continues around to the inside. that amount is the height of the fake rocker on the kit's door skin. cutting there would result in the problems Ive found before. If you cut any less than the height of the fake rocker, the line won't be carried back to the rear and to the front like the yellow car. All but the Mirage has these problems because they're not "designed" for seperate rockers.

Do the windows on the Mirage go all the way down?