Thread: Members suggest how to paint your car videos??

Members suggest how to paint your car videos??

This kind of goes along with the fellow asking how to paint a car, but I knew there are alot of you out there that are awesome at bodywork and painting cars, and I wondered if anyone could suggest the absolute (in their opinion ;D) best how to bodywork and paint dvd instruction out there?? I know there are some available on the Eastwood website and catalogue, but thought to ask to save money by only buying the best thanks to you guys!! JB

Re: Members suggest how to paint your car videos??

I took non-credit classes at the local community college for body and paint. I learned all the basics and kept going from there. That was 8 years ago. I'm my opinion, you can't beat the hands on learning.

I helped a friend paint an old late 70s Tbird many years ago. He did it out in his driveway. It was my job to do the masking and clean the car with prepsoll. He ran a DA over the car wiped and tack raged it mixed up the paint and starting spraying before I could get the whole car masked. Considering the half ass way it was done. It really didn't look that bad at the time. I went to NAPA the following week and purchased a book they had on auto painting. After reading it I realised all the things my friend did incorrectly and also learned about different types of paint, primers, and fillers. I had another friend that lived a few towns away that needed his car painted. It was setup in a 2 car garage with lots of light. After he heard all the technical knollage I had about painting he hired me to paint his car. (he didn't know that all I did was read a book and never picked up a spray gun before) Well, that's not true. I did pick them up in the store.
    Anyway, The car came out looking very nice. It was painted with acrylic enamel and it did have orange peel. Although it was sanded and buffed and looked beautifull.

The moral to the story is:
    Paint you friends car first. If it comes out good he will tell everyone how good of a painter your are. If it turns out terrable. Don't worry about it. You lost a friend but at least it wasn't your car that got screwed up! LOL

Just kidding of course

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    I helped a friend paint an old late 70s Tbird many years ago. He did it out in his driveway. It was my job to do the masking and clean the car with prepsoll. He ran a DA over the car wiped and tack raged it mixed up the paint and starting spraying before I could get the whole car masked. Considering the half ass way it was done. It really didn't look that bad at the time. I went to NAPA the following week and purchased a book they had on auto painting. After reading it I realised all the things my friend did incorrectly and also learned about different types of paint, primers, and fillers. I had another friend that lived a few towns away that needed his car painted. It was setup in a 2 car garage with lots of light. After he heard all the technical knollage I had about painting he hired me to paint his car. (he didn't know that all I did was read a book and never picked up a spray gun before) Well, that's not true. I did pick them up in the store.
    Anyway, The car came out looking very nice. It was painted with acrylic enamel and it did have orange peel. Although it was sanded and buffed and looked beautifull.

The moral to the story is:
    Paint you friends car first. If it comes out good he will tell everyone how good of a painter your are. If it turns out terrable. Don't worry about it. You lost a friend but at least it wasn't your car that got screwed up! LOL

Just kidding of course
    Yeah, that great!! I am looking at using urethane paint single stage to do my GTO. I also have an old 83 Chevy pickup that I am going to work on before I really get going on the Goat. I figure if I screw up on the truck big deal and I will just fix it, but thats my ginny pig!!

Quote Originally Posted by coreywms
    I took non-credit classes at the local community college for body and paint. I learned all the basics and kept going from there. That was 8 years ago. I'm my opinion, you can't beat the hands on learning.
    Now I would love to do that if I had access to the classes, but I live in a small coastal town. We have body shops, and I thought about asking a few of them if I could maybe do some grunt work for them and in exchange they could show me some hammer and dolly tech and well as some spraying techniques!!! I dont know, I am just brainstorming the who thing. You know, even if I could afford to just hand the GTO to a shop and say
    go to it", I would not be as proud as if I had done it myself, know what I mean?? JB

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacneil
    Now I would love to do that if I had access to the classes, but I live in a small coastal town. We have body shops, and I thought about asking a few of them if I could maybe do some grunt work for them and in exchange they could show me some hammer and dolly tech and well as some spraying techniques!!! I dont know, I am just brainstorming the who thing. You know, even if I could afford to just hand the GTO to a shop and say
    go to it", I would not be as proud as if I had done it myself, know what I mean?? JB
    You have the idea. Watching someone else do it does it for me. That's how I learn to do most things.
    Dolly work can be very tricky. I never really got the hang of that. I have friends up north that can work out a decent sized dent and finish it with primer without a spot of filler. I wish I had that tallent!

Dont sell yourself short!! I bet with enough practice you could be a kick butt metal worker!! I was told to practice on old fenders and doors that are not important, and then go to the real project!!!! You guys are the best. JB
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    Quote Originally Posted by jbmacneil
    You have the idea. Watching someone else do it does it for me. That's how I learn to do most things.
    Dolly work can be very tricky. I never really got the hang of that. I have friends up north that can work out a decent sized dent and finish it with primer without a spot of filler. I wish I had that tallent!