Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pinto engine help please!

pinto engine help please!

Hi I have just re-build a pinto engine and after trying to start, I discovered a problem with ignition system.

After repairing the dissy I was turning the engine over to find the ignition stroke on No.1 with my finger and discovered that I had no compression at all. Put the compression tester in and still zero compression on No.1.

Took the cam cover off and found that there is a load of white and red gunk all over. Possibly the red bits been from rust and maybe white from oil and water? Smells a little of fuel but might not be. Does fuel and water go white?

Took the sump off and itís again full of white oily stuff. Checked the head and it seems fine. Values seem to fit in their seats perfectly well. Head gasket seems fine too, no damage.

Just had the value seats recut for unleaded, although I don't think they could have damaged anything that could break into an oil stream?

It could have been possible that some water got down the oil down pipe whilst installing the head although It seems allot more than a bit. In the sump I found at least a cup full of standing water or fuel with the white oil sitting on top of it.

Poured some water into the bores to see if it was the rings, tried turning the crank over a little to see if it slips down although it didn't. Would you get some compression at all if the head gasket was leaking? Baring in mind never been started just turned over (a lot though).

Don't know what else to try. Scared of just putting it all back together and it doing it again. Really need to find out why. Can valves stick open slightly? Just don't understand the compression lost.

This engine has been skimmed quite a bit on the head for high compression. Was bought built for race spec. When I first put it together I had compression.

Also I might have really badly flooded the engine. Was desperate to start it. Didn't realise we had ignition problems. Not sure what impact this could have.

Any help would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

Dan

Re: pinto engine help please!

Dan,
    Water in the oil is usually a blown head gasket. Which could be from just from age or a warped or cracked head. Sounds like you have a valve stuck open as well. That is, as long as everything is moving around properly when you crank the motor.

Do you have compression on any cylinder? If all are dead then it is in the valve train. Check the cam timing.

Hi how would a value stick open? What would cause it? Did feel that way. I think I know why we had mayo. Could have been a mistake when I first took the head off. Didn't drain everything first and someone said that could have dropped down into it. Oops.

Still cant seem to figure out the compression problem. Didn't check the other cylinders. Should have I guess.

If the pistons and rings are good then the only places to loose complete compression is out the valves or possibly head gasket.. It sounds like you have a head problem with the oil and coolant mixing, but you should still get some kind of compression reading unless the heads are severly warped.

I agree with the cam timing and the valves are opening at the wrong time.. Was it dumping fuel into the exhaust or intake? You really should have checked for compression on every cylinder..

Quote Originally Posted by burge124

Hi how would a value stick open? What would cause it? Did feel that way. I think I know why we had mayo. Could have been a mistake when I first took the head off. Didn't drain everything first and someone said that could have dropped down into it. Oops.

Still cant seem to figure out the compression problem. Didn't check the other cylinders. Should have I guess.
    If you didn't drain the water before removing the head you certainly put water into the crankcase.
    I was reading your initial post. You say you rebuilt the engine. What did you rebuild and why? Otherwise, we all all just guessing what your problem might be and what to do about it.

If the engine was just rebuilt, is the white stuff that is all over everything just a bunch of assembly lube?

I'm amazed! Not one person asked what a pinto engine has to do with kit cars. You guys are just too cool.

Pinto 4 bangers were common on the old MG kits back from the 80s.

Good engines, pretty much bullet proof but heavy.