Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coilover Height HELP HELP HELP

Coilover Height HELP HELP HELP

I am trying to get an estimate as to how much a 10" coilover 325 to 350lb. spring will compress when under load in a Fiero with a 3.4 DOHC. Just an estimate 1" - 2" ????? I'm trying to figure this out before I order the parts so I don't get the wrong stuff.

can anyone help?

Re: Coilover Height HELP HELP HELP

Come on over and measure up mine. They are on the car and I can't bend over yet or I would do it for you
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Let's see, a Fiero with that engine weighs just under 2800 lbs. Don't know what you weigh, but assume the total weight with driver is about 2950 lbs. Weight distribution is 57% on the rear, which puts 1682 lbs on the rear, or 841 lbs per side. So a 350 lb/in spring will compress about 2.4". A 325 lb/in spring will compress about 2.6".

Rick

Well thank you very much Rick. You are certainly smarter than me on this. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    Come on over and measure up mine. They are on the car and I can't bend over yet or I would do it for you
    Thanks Dave - I am over due to paying you a visit!

According to most of the coil-over builders the shock should be compressed approximately 1/3 of its travel when at ride height.

Dinero-

I would love to know how you came up with those numbers, if you wouldn't mind. Were they calculated or measured on an actual car?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder
    According to most of the coil-over builders the shock should be compressed approximately 1/3 of its travel when at ride height.
    Another good tip. Thank you

I came across a set of 250lb. springs at the flea market last week. They will probably be to light. At least I should be able to judge if I should go with 300 or 325 springs. I just want to avoid the bouncy ride I see on the rice burners all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder
    Another good tip. Thank you

I came across a set of 250lb. springs at the flea market last week. They will probably be to light. At least I should be able to judge if I should go with 300 or 325 springs. I just want to avoid the bouncy ride I see on the rice burners all the time.
    You won't get a bouncy ride. The ride you get will be smooth on perfect pavement then when you hit any type of defect in the road the suspension will totally compress and smash off the bump stop.
    Another factor in your estimate will be if you extended the control arms, deep dish wheels or added wheel spacers. 400# front and 400# rear provides a perfect ride for a Fiero made into a Diablo.

Sounds like I will be looking for more springs! Seams like springs are easy to find at my once a month auto swap. Although I have not found the sleeves. Anyone know of a good source for new ones or have some used ones they would be willing to part with?

I would like to find them 7" long x 2.04 With the nuts.