Thread: Fiero Cooling Suggestions

Fiero Cooling Suggestions

I have a Murci kit mounted on a stretched Fiero frame and my radiator is still mounted up front. I'm beginning to question if I really want to keep it up there long term or go to two smaller radiators in the back like I've seen on other cars (may be tube frame cars).

My concearn with it staying up front is it getting enough airflow even with the electric cooling fans. Since I'm working on making my bat wings functional (travel up and down) I figure that now is the time to consider going the extra step and building the duct work off the bat wings to divert cool air to a set of smaller rear mounted radiators (like the original).

Suggestions and / or watchouts? ???

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Fiero Cooling Suggestions

My murci roadster has the v6 radiator and overheated on the freeway but it's ok in town at 25 mph. I have an archie four core radiator but I haven't installed it yet because I suspect a lack of air flow is the problem. I wanted to try other things first to eliminate one thing at a time. I haven't run it on a super hot day yet but installing a scoop in front of the radiator seems to have taken care of it. I plan on ducting my front grills to the radiator because the air is just blowing around now. The g28 has larger openings than a stock fiero grill and there are lots of v8 fieros running around with no heating problems. I have a 350 vortec with an electric water pump. My car didn't have the air dam in front of the radiator that fiero comes with and that was probably a big part of the problem. Since I have the four core radiator I'll install it eventually, but I suspect thai it's not neccessary. I also have an AD355 with a N* and the AD has the grill almost completely blocked. I haven't run it with the rebody, but lots of other people seem to have no trouble. I'll probably open the grill on the AD355 eventually.

Excellent points.

I think that for now I'll invest in a four core radiator and some really good (dual fans) and build a shroud to focus the cool air into the radiator.

If I go for the 3800SC swap, I'll consider adding the dual radiators and fans in the back of the car.

Thanks for reply.

Chris

IMO, header wrap as much exhaust as you can to keep the engine bay temps down. If you experience a problem, remove the thermostat as a test first before installing the rad.
    When filling the rad (at the stat housing) get the car on as much of an angle as you can. Nose down rear up. I have been able to get about an extra 2 liters of coolant into the system by jacking up the back. Air is your enemy.

Those are tips that only a fellow who has owned a mid or rear engine car would know. ;D

Since I'm new to this... these are words of advice that I'll live by.

Thank you,

Chris