Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro's and Con's of DNA kits.

Pro's and Con's of DNA kits.

Hello everyone, 1st post.

I use to be an Extreme fan but tired of waiting for the 430 demo, so I said "hey why not head over to DNA"... I did plenty of research on DNA but never got any pro's and con's from owners... Everyone who has a dNA kit says "My KIT is 99.9% accurate to the real ferrari, no one tells the difference...". Now I am not a show off or like to just pick up chicken head lol, I like the feelin of building a kit car and such... Now I am going to sell the kit once I am done, but for the sake of argument here...

Can someone tell me pros and cons?

thanks everyone

Re: Pro's and Con's of DNA kits.

Welcome to the forum fella. If someone asked me would I do another DNA kit.. the answer would be a resounding YES.. without any doubt. If you haven't go and look at www.dnaoc.co.uk and have a read on there. There's a few build threads as well. My build time was just over 4 months on there 360 kit, however the 430 is meant to easier :-) O.. and if it's defo a 430 your after it would defo be worth you going to visit them.......I can't say anymore ;-p

hope this helps

Steve
    DNA Owners Club - DNA Kitcar Related Website
    Extreme Owners Club - Extreme Kitcar Related Website

Quote Originally Posted by CdRsKuLL
    Welcome to the forum fella. If someone asked me would I do another DNA kit.. the answer would be a resounding YES.. without any doubt. If you haven't go and look at www.dnaoc.co.uk and have a read on there. There's a few build threads as well. My build time was just over 4 months on there 360 kit, however the 430 is meant to easier :-) O.. and if it's defo a 430 your after it would defo be worth you going to visit them.......I can't say anymore ;-p

hope this helps

Steve
    Ah very helpful link, did not know there was a forum. I appreciate your reply also, I think DNA kit has done a wonderful job with their kits. The builds looking very nice...

I have 2 friends both with DNA 430s and they are very happy with the Replicas. They have said no one can tell the difference on the street because most have NOT seen a real Ferrari 430 in their life.

If I was a Ferrari Man I would head straight to DNA for a Replica as they can be built in weeks and you do not need to cut up the chassis of a old MR2 (SW20) or a old Pug.

I would say you cannot go wrong with a DNA Replica be it a 360 or 430. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by TSV
    If I was a Ferrari Man I would head straight to DNA for a Replica as they can be built in weeks and you do not need to cut up the chassis of a old MR2 (SW20) or a old Pug.
    You will find that the mr2 mk2 base car for our GTF is structurally complete - we do not 'cut up the chassis'. From froint inner bumper to rear inner bumper, the structure of the monocoque is there. It has been a strong message all though oour development of new cars - we do not cut chassis. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2kits
    You will find that the mr2 mk2 base car for our GTF is structurally complete - we do not 'cut up the chassis'. From froint inner bumper to rear inner bumper, the structure of the monocoque is there. It has been a strong message all though oour development of new cars - we do not cut chassis. Thanks.

I did not say any company names

You seem a little PARNOID thinking I was talking about your vehicles! :P

The DNA kits just get better and better. If you want the easiest build then go for the 430 or even the new coupe. If you want something slightly more challenging, then the older 360 is better (and now cheaper)
    I don't think you can knock their kits at all. The only thing you will hear people whine about is this little detail isn't quite right or the roof isn't quite the right shape etc. It's a small price to pay for a great kit that the average guy can build. Also it's a damn site closer to the real thing than a lot of the us kits that are oh so perfect... Early G build merci anyone? As ever you want the real thing - save up and buy it. You want a fun project you can be proud of, it might be just the thing!

Sorry to be more specific, the window line around the sides and the screen aren't quite exact, the roof isn't quite the same (but uses the old roof frame so it works well and looks damn close) if you buy the 360 kit the only fake engine is the 430 - could you tell the difference? The length at the back is slightly off and the distance between the wheels is also off by a little. Oh and if you take it to a Ferrari garage to be fixed you'll get chased out! The interior is a long way off but that largely comes down to the person doing the kit and how far they are willing to go.
    Seriously though, very few people can tell. I would recommend them without hesitation but then I own a 360 that I'm still trying to find the time to finish!

Thankyou for the replies.

I think the minor details I don't mind, only thing I was first concerned about when I first saw the KIT was the DONOR car. It comes down to an mr2 spyder which is really expensive and I couldn't find many in the toronto, hamilton, or other greater regions. They go for nothing less than 12k, so thats basically a NO NO, then I was told it could be build on the ford mecury 2 door coupe. I am still doing so research on that, and still asking some questions around, but as far as accuracy and how the kit looks I have heard nothing but great things.

I actually have a question...

Why don't people go with another company's Interior if they are complaining about the DNA one. llike use another dash board?

I think mainly because it's a pain in the pants to change and cut in a new dash. Probably the biggest most annoying job you would do on the build. Then there's the cost of getting a dash. The 360 is old hat now and their 430 kit is okay as far as dash is concerned. Biggest issue here is that although the width of the car is pretty much spot on, it manages this by having deep doors and wider wings etc. The main structure of the car remains untouched (all crash bars etc) so the actual true inside of the car is narrower than the real thing.

As for donors, look on craigslist for minniapolis or othere such close to the border place or even speak to phil (fill-up) about finding a donor for you. Mine was $10k about three years ago and only had 22k on the clock. They can be had a good bit cheaper now.

If you want to see one in the flesh and don't mind a drive I'm in the twin cities and have a part finished 360.
    The 430 coupe should be pretty amazing but I'm not sure how quickly DNA would want to send one to the US for fear of copying!