Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where is that thread?

where is that thread?

i am looking for a thread that had a concept countach in it. it was white with a much more modern look. i can not seem to find it, can anyone help?

cliff

Re: where is that thread?

dont know where the thread went but try this
    http://www.automoblog.net/2009/12/22...ch-ev-concept/

thanks john, buy the way congrats on the h/h magazine article.

Is there a chance that maybe someone is considering building this beautiful car? :

Being part of the generation that had a love affair with the Countach before being old enough to understand that girls are neat, I long for the car but have found the body style classic, yet now a bit out of date to justify a new build (I'd still take an original in a heartbeat at the right price!). ;D

This design really bridges that gap plus it's very unique and not based on a production car which only keeps the design more timeless. I'm also assuming that with the quantity of both repro and production parts out there that this car would be more affordable to build since it's not like starting from scratch in every area. I wonder how Lamborghini would view such a project or is this unique enough that it qualifies as and "original design" and they legally can't touch you?

The big question is would you build an electric version of this as the designer had suggested? :-\

Chris

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

this is very clean ,the retro look bring back memories of my Blk Countach rep. this would sell ,i never figured that wing would work again but its a perfect fit on this Retro C , an last most designers never show a rear shot this one is very well planned out on the back ,IT LOOK GOOD FROM EVERY ANGLE
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Totally agree about the wing concept.

I actually had a buddy ask me the other day if I was going to put a wing on my Murci and I told him no and that it was so "80's" and I didn't think it'd look right on my car however on this new Countach, it totally fits and looks right at home. What would modernize the look even a little more would be highlighting some of the details in unpainted carbon fiber (scoops, wing and side mirrors).

I even like the rims they put on the concept however a modern twist on the retro "5 circle" rims would also be awesome. Another cool retro look would be the addition of a periscope scoop on the roof that would contain a camera in the middle flanked by two sets of LED third brake lights on either side.

I'm seriously in love with this car and would consider building one after my Murci project is done. I would only ask that someone keep with this design and keep it exact to this as possible and offer quality panels. If someone did this project, please keep all of the panel lines in place and don't try to do this as a one piece body unless you are able to keep the deep cut panel lines.

Chris

tks cliff didnt know anyone here knew about the mag

your welcome john, as far as the rest of you... yes i am seriously considering on building this car very seriously considering it, speacilly since the countach was also my dream car growing up. however some questions arise with this car. it seems to be a touch longer than the old one. which would make sense as far as passenger comfort. i think if i do this i would have to make at the same wheel base as the mercy or the diablo, and then the interior. hmmm that could be fun would we go with a reto of the old style look or come up with something new, fore say somehing like a gallardo/ mercy mix. the bad thing is the tooling for the door glass and to have the wheels made would probably cost a mint. but the cool thing is i have a very accurate replica that im going to mold so i should have a very good start.

any other suggestions for this build ??? im all ears ;D well okay eyes

Here is what I'm thinking for this build.

Stay with the concept theme and stick with those lines. This car deserves to be built on a tube frame. Set the frame up with a removable cradle so that multiple cradle set up's can be fabricated and sold as bolt in components (I'd be thinking of a BMW V12 configuration for myself). I'd offer the cradles for the more popular drive trains like the V8 and maybe even the a V6. I'd also consider designing this around a one piece fiberglass interior pod that would contain the majority of major of the fixed interior parts. I've always wondered if loose interior panel construction could be made easier with the use of (don't laugh) industrial Velcro. This would only be used for removable parts that have no structural value (dash and door panels) and really cut down on weight and overall build time and cost.

My thought is that the easier you can make this for the builder, the more successful the project will be. I'd leverage the various guys out there that specialize in these areas who would be interested in taking on chunks of this project and selling their products through you. I see you are from NC which is space frame country and there are probably 10 shops within 100 miles of you that build awesome race car frames and suspensions.

Try to offer the car in Stages of completion and price:

Examples:

Stage 1 - Body with all loose panels.
    Stage 2 - Body on mounted tube frame, weather stripping, doors and hatch installed.
    Stage 3 - Stage 2 plus wiring, brake and fuel lines run and suspension installed. Wheel allowance provided (basic rollers all the way up to some really nice custom rims that you would resell).

Options could include, Wheels - Lights - Glass - Engine cradles - Badges – Exterior carbon fiber appearance packages etc.

Personally I'd go very spartan on the interior and keep it as “boy racer” as possible. Since this is a "concept car" you gain a lot of flexibility with design since there really is no real pattern to go from. I'd look at using things like out of the box VDO guages behind a custom fiberglass pod that could be painted or covered to the builders choice.

For lenses (front and rear) consider finding a Mom & Pop plastic mold injection business that believes in your concept and willing to provide the upfront development of the molds in return for making the parts and selling them to you at $500 a pair. You'd pass these onto your customers at $700 a pair and make $200 for your troubles.

I'd find suppliers that do some of these things very well and work out a deal with them. I'd have them build the parts as suppliers and I'd simply become the reseller to the customer. The more successful you can make the builders, the more cars on the road and the better your rep becomes which seems to be a rare thing in this business these days. I would even consider using a local body shop that is really good with fiberglass and could use the extra business for the installation and finishing of the doors and hatch. I've seen several guys choke when they try to do everything themselves and they only tick off the customers who get tired of waiting on them or the quality really slips which seems to be the second biggest problem in this business. As demand and your rep grows you'd simply start bringing what you want to do in house and hire your own staff. The theme here, figure out what you are really good at and focus on that.

You hear a lot of complaints about assembly manuals. A thought I had here is to find some college students majoring in film or photography to follow your project along and document for you at a reasonable cost. You could either use them to pull together a digital or DVD version of the assembly process that would help the builders.

This car has been on my mind a lot since I came across the thread. One last thing I'll suggest is a ideal for the upper quarter panel scoops. Consider a modern bat wing twist on these (movable) but try to keep with the original Countach look and not make them too Murci. ;D

Keep us informed on this project and I personally look forward to seeing this car come to life. I've already informed my wife that I have our next project picked out. :

Thanks

Chris