Thread: replacement clutch slave cyl

replacement clutch slave cyl

My slave cyl is leaking on my F40 (88 with an 86 2.8 5 speed) I can't get the replacement here in Mexico but someone told me the slave on an 88 Chevy S10 pickup truck is the same. anybody know?

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Re: replacement clutch slave cyl

Quote Originally Posted by stevep914
    My slave cyl is leaking on my F40 (88 with an 86 2.8 5 speed) I can't get the replacement here in Mexico but someone told me the slave on an 88 Chevy S10 pickup truck is the same. anybody know?
    it will work an stop fiero brake fade because it has a bigger piston bore than a fiero ,most people get it for the 88 blazer .. i think its the same as the S10

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_npm...slave+cylinder
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Are you talking about clutch slaves or brake master cylinders.
    If you take apart the clutch slave is has one common clutch seal inside. It is easy to replace.

If its clutches you are talking about & like mine it was rusted too bad to refurb & you dont have easy access to USA spares, I just replaced it with one with exactly the same bore diameter. I think the one I used was 3 series BMW, it just bolted straight up to the 5 speed box on a V6 that I had. Clutch was LOADS better. I also replaced the flexi pipe leading to the cylinder as the rubber was old & was restricted, causing problems with bleeding.

Have a look on some of the online parts suppliers, they sometimes have bore & stroke of the cylinders, then just choose one that has mountings and layout that looks the same, with the same bore & stroke & get it local to you. Its only 2 bolts & a rod (which you can adjust the length of if the new slave is different length)

In answer to your qn about the S10 blazer, yes I believe it should be the same. I got lots of parts for mine listing it as being a blazer inc the inlet and carb for swapping out the injection.

The more work I did on my 308 fiero, the less I used standard parts & the more I started fabricating or substituting alternatives.

(My alternator is from a ford granada, my headlamps have home made control units, clutch slave is off a bmw, front shocks are adjustable spax from a mini, handbrake cables are from a metro, starter motor refurbed with hand made brass parts, handbrake lever is home machined, gearstick & shift gate is hand made, cooling system is re routed and bleeder/filler hand made, its not injected anymore but is now a carb, oil guage is from a mini, exhaust is made from a several ford transit exhausts welded together......etc!!)

Good luck!

308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

thanks for the replies guys- sorry to not specfy clutch. We have Auto Zone in Mazatlan, but no Fiero parts(never imported into Mexico) I'll go check out Chevy parts there tomorrow. Steve

Rodney Dickman (http://www.rodneydickman.com/) makes a very nice slave cylinder for the 5 speed Getrag transmission. It is better than OEM wrt quality.
    Nelson

just an update on this. I picked up a chev s10 slave for the clutch, and installed it. It looked bigger overall,but the bore looked the same. Apparently not, as I could get no pushrod travel out of it when pumping the pedal (after bleeding of course) I then went to a longer pushrod, assuming I am using less fluid if the stroke is less- still no result. so back to looking for something oem, when not available here her in Mexico. Steve

why not buy one off ebay, or have someone in the usa send you one

Have you changed the flexi's? No pedal movement at all sounds like its not bled properly. You should get some travel.
    Like I said, all you need is the same bore and a similar mounting. Its just a plunger moving due to an amount of fluid being pushed behind it by the pedal cylinder. If the two bores are within a mm or so of each other, they willl move the same distanc in responce to a give clutch pedal movement.
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

Flexi that goes into the slave is newer. The outer diameter of the S10 cyl is considerably bigger, but inside looked close. Aftermarket. I believe the leaking slave I have is not stock, and uses a long pushrod. Went to GM dealer here, and drew a blank-Fiero's were never imported here, and no other Chev slave cyl came close. I guess it's a 750 mile trip to Tucson to get this done. Might as well have some fun if i gotta spend money!