Thread: rssllhd's newly stretched mr2

rssllhd's newly stretched mr2

hello all, i just got done stretching a 2000 toyota mr2 spyder, i am including pics of the work i have done for those of you who are considering this car for donor. i stretched this car for russ's reventon kit that he got form eddie. so the wheel base is now sitting at 105 inches, normally i would not post of my work due to some of the people out thier bad mouthing everything people do. but i felt compelled to post and warn people of some of the possible disasters that can happen if they do not do thier home work. lol

first off this was my first toyota stretch, and i have to say that it was quite easy and straight forward. and after stringing the car i found that it was a 16th within square so that made it even easier. no i will say that im not much the mechanic, fabicator yes mechanic no lol, so for starts i did not know much about the car. i did some research online and everybody was streching the car 10.5 inches. so i assumed that is what i need to stretch this car. that was my first and biggest mistake. bad thing is i preach the old saying that assumption is the mother of all f___ up's. so i never measured the wheel base and i assumed that it was the same as the other years. by the way i was using spots on the chassis for measurements not the the suspension or wheel base. so i had good base measurements that was easy to use. so now that i had the rails done. we put it on the ground and measured and to my disgust and horror the wheel base was 2 7/8 to long. but everything stayed in square. so after which i called it night and went in and did more research come to find out that toyota changed the wheel base that year they went from 94.5 to 96.5

Re: rssllhd's newly stretched mr2

lol so now im pi__ed lol and never added 2 and 2 together and thought damn i am 2 inches to long. so the next day i get to redoing everything i did. well trouble turn two. i was redoing the math and taking new measurements with the car on stands. "to all of you fellow builders out thier remember this when you do this car the wheel base shortens with no load. and it will vary of course so you need to take your base measurement under load before you put it up on stands. this car changed 3/8 of an inch". now back to the story. so the next morning with the car back on stands me and a friend who stopped by was coming up with 106 5/8 so we put it back down on the ground and it measured out 107 okay so i now figured okay i have the measurement i needed and should have started with the day before. and i know what the suspension is doing with the car on stands. so he leaves and i start doing the math i cut all my welds and start moving everything around. lol now but not at the time. so this time i am doing the old diy trick by hooking the tape on the back edge of the rear wheel and measuring to the back edge of the front wheel and adjust everything to meet 104 5/8 check and make sure everything is square again and everything is good and this time i tack everything in place. lol another thing i preach and did not do myself. now that my friend came back i figured i would measure again with him here so i know im getting a good measurement. lol wooo and behold 1/2 inch to short, no im fuming and kicking and screaming throwing stuff. lol okay maybe not all that stuff but i was again pissed off but the half inch caught my eye. and i looked at the wheels yep the rears are 16's and the fronts are 15s so the old reliable diy measureing turned out not so reliable at the moment. so after cutting everything back loose again i corrected the measurement and finished up, wow talk about having a couple bad days lol hope you all get a laugh out of it.

and here is a link to the pics
    http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac188/cliffscustoms/

well you gents have a great day.

Looks Awesome, like factory. This man really knows his stuff. Anybody that has bought from him knows what i am talking about.

yes i have dealt with cliff and was happy

I've only heard good things about Cliff, from picture I can understand why!

thanks for the kudos guys, i would also like to add that i did the shifter linkage also. and i took it for a spin up the road to make sure it all the gears work. yeah somthing actually worked out for me the first time around with this car. ;D ;D lol ill post a pic of what i did there.