Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air condition controls like oem???

air condition controls like oem???

hey guys im looking for an alternative to putting the climate controls next to the shifter like in the real 355 but i dont know how to do it and oem is the last thing in my mind well let me know guys lata
    There may be many kit men but there is only one KitMan except no subustutions

Re:air condition controls like oem???

My first plan was to place the control between the console and the dash under the radio, but in that position it just didn't have that built-in look...more like an add-on. I then thought of hiding the control somewhere under the dash or in the glovebox, but then how would I reach it while driving? So my final solution was to place it in the dash above the radio. Although this modification diverges from o.e. look, the control panel is blended into the dash and easy to reach.

Nice job on the switch panel. I sometimes wish I had done something like that. I put mine in my homemade console and the AC controls into the spot for the radio. I did that because the brace that holds the steering column in place hit the back of the radio. So now, I am looking for a way to put in a hidden radio and CD changer.

Dave

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Mapics:

Thanks. The switch panel is casted urethane. The most convenient location was on the lower end of the dash, which worked out fine because it's an unobtrusive spot. When I built my dash I made sure I had enough clearance for the radio, but you know hiding the radio & using a remote control is not a bad idea either. Did you use a different light switch, I don't see it on your console? Is that a carbonfiber guage bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by Amida
    Mapics:

Thanks. The switch panel is casted urethane. The most convenient location was on the lower end of the dash, which worked out fine because it's an unobtrusive spot. When I built my dash I made sure I had enough clearance for the radio, but you know hiding the radio & using a remote control is not a bad idea either. Did you use a different light switch, I don't see it on your console? Is that a carbonfiber guage bezel?
    I used the switches in the center console by the shifter. They are for a Welcraft Boat and seem to work great. The outside ones are used to raise and lower boat motors, I use them to raise and lower windows. The center is fog lights, left is headlights up and down, the right is headlights on and off. Trunk release is in glove box. I thought of extending the dash pod out enough for the radio but I need to move out 2 inches of the best way it the hidden sound system as mentioned. You have done a nice job on your design. Really looks good. Yep, that is carbon fiber used to hold the gauges. It is relatively easy to make. I used the rear glass of the Fiero after it was removed, buffed it to really make the surface smooth, then laid up the carbon fiber, cut it out, put in the gauges and mounted it in the dash.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MAPICS_Man
    Mapics:
    Yep, that is carbon fiber used to hold the gauges. It is relatively easy to make. I used the rear glass of the Fiero after it was removed, buffed it to really make the surface smooth, then laid up the carbon fiber, cut it out, put in the gauges and mounted it in the dash.

Dave
    Oh I GOTTA know how you did this!!! Details and step-by-step instructions please

DKOV -

Scott:

I took the flat rear glass out of the Fiero and while it was laying on the workbench I got an idea. I needed a flat surface to lay out the dash panel and as I picked up the glass I thought why not make a flat mold to build the dash panel. I had some carbon fiber mat and some epoxy resin and went to work. I cleaned the glass the best I could but it needed to be buffed out to get a really smooth surface. Step 1) I put mold wax on the glass.

Step 2) I sprayed the area with clear lacquer about 5 times.

Step 3) I cut the carbon fiber to the size needed (I actually made it about 2 bigger)

Step 4) I mixed up the epoxy resin applied a coat to the lacquered finish.

Step 5) I placed the cut carbon fiber on the epoxy area.

Step6) I coated the carbon fiber on the backside and worked out any air bubbles

Step 7) Let the process cure overnight

Step 8) Pop off the part and trim to fit.

By the way, before cutting the part I just made, I made one out of poster board to get it as accurate as possible.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Mapics:

It looks really good. I was also thinking about doing either carbonfiber bezels or that new silver bezel look that you now see in the new models. Right now I'm on the door panels...looking into which oem doorlock mechanisms I could use to integrate into my grabhandles. My other choice is to use mini Toyota levers and hide them behind the grabhandles.

The flip up door handles are quite easy to make if you have the notion to do so.

so im guessing that no one has any idea about the controls going in like oem im looking but i am having no luck i think i might have to settle for regular if anyone has an idea let me know...
    There may be many kit men but there is only one KitMan except no subustutions