Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convertable top canvas specs?

Convertable top canvas specs?

dose anyone have the convertable top canvas specs or a nice pattern they could send me i would be much abliged let a kitman know holla...
    There may be many kit men but there is only one KitMan except no subustutions

Re:Convertable top canvas specs?

I am interested as well. Mad Mike put a message on the forum that mentioned using denim fabric to mock up the top. Would be nice to have some paper patterns and someone who knows how to put a top and padding together?
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

DAVE, the heavyweight denim is great for making patterns,becouse it has about the same thickness and stretch as haartz stayfast material,or mercedes hapic cloth,
    the problem is the pattern will be different for every top frame,
    i could probably show how to make the patterns,(it's not that bad)but how could we post it,i'm going to make a new top for
    my wife's 88 mr-2 i made into a conv.for her when it was new,
    maybe i can video it or just take a lot of pics.it looks just like the top on a ferrari mondial or 355 so the way to make it would be the same,it's a lot better to experiment with denim
    than expensive top material,believe me it's trial and error until
    you get it nice and tight!MIKE

i read a few years ago a guy in Fl. used a Chevy Cav. convertable top for his 355 with some slight mods and worked great. anyone here ever heard of this and if so whats your thoughts? Worth the less in labor of constructing you/our own, or to far off in looks to even be considered.

Just some thoughts.

"this sites the best"

The Chevy top will work just fine with a few little adjustments for most people. The challenge for me is the fact that the top is not flush with the windshield header. It looks like putting 2 inch thick of top material on the car over the windshield. I have a big investment in this car and want the top to be as close as I can without giving away the fact it is an imposter Ferrari.

yeah i understand what you mean i have heard about the denim and i think all you do is water treat it and it would work out fine.. well anyways thanks any way i think that i found out a workable idea but its too complicated for me to explain i dont really understand it to well myself but when its finish ill be sure you update holla...
    There may be many kit men but there is only one KitMan except no subustutions

NO KITMAN,what i meant was you use denim to make your patterns and get a final fit in the material before you go cutting up the expensive stayfast material to actually sew the top out of,the denim is about the same thickness as the actualtop material,and has about the same stretch but costs about a tenth as much,so its cheap to use for the patterns,becouse believe me you will make mistakes before you get your patterns the way you want them.
    MIKE

Mike:

Have you any leads on what type of glue goes between the seams or is someone has a heat treat glued seam process for the top manufacturing process?

Dave

DAVE,week after next when i'm done getting these windshield frames to you guys,i'll finish the top frame so i can make up some kits,i'm going to do like i did with my wife's 88 mr-2 and have the headers cast from uluminum,as i said before the foundry is 3 or 4 miles from me,and makes my bumpers etc for other kits i have.
    MIKE

Mike:

This must be your late day. On a car note, I am running out of time to have my car on the road by MAY 2003. When do you think the windshield parts will be completed? I need it yesterday. If I don't get one soon, I will be forced to resort to something else.

Dave