Thread: 3800 Turbo conversion....

3800 Turbo conversion....

Hi all, I'm not going to have the money for a complete conversion from Fiero to Ferrari to do all at once. So I have decided (along with the greatful approval of my better half...thanks dear) that I would do it in stages. 1. buy donor "wishing" under $500. ('84-'87, not working engine or tranny is fine) 2. Buy salvage 3800 with turbo. Have it rebuilt with some extra internal goodies, would like about 350 to 375 HP. I am lucky my best freind is ASE certified and teaches auto mech at a trade school.
    My question is this....when I buy salvage motor, should I buy the wire harnesess and motor computer there off the salvage car as well? Can I use the 3800 auto tranny and put in Fiero?
    I will later do suspention upgrade/change, then body and rag top. Last will come the interior. This may all take place over sum 3 to 4 years. I really look forward to any and all feedback.

PS. please overlook my spelling...its a long story.

Re:3800 Turbo conversion....

Bondo Bob has the entire car with a nice 3800 series I in it and running. If you live in Florida that could be a good bet. I have a nice Weber Carb intake that will fit on the engine. I think we can get you there with some pistons, cam and headers.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

You will need to get the wiring harness, computer, all of the accessories (alt, starter, etc..) and dont forget to get the key... GM has a resistor embeded into the key and the computer will look for the "correct" resistance before allowing the engine to turn over. as far as the tranny goes... I am not sure it the auto that comes with the 3800 will work or not.

MAPICS,

Thanks for the offer, but I think right now I want to turbo the beast. Your intake and the webers sure are tempting. Also, your build sure looks great. I am very impressed and green with invy. My sons are both 8 and it looks like you and your kids are having fun. Plus you seem to have a great perfectionist attitude. Keep it up.

I may want something more than I can do, because when its all done one day I want to dust any 'Vette or anything like that wants to try. I'm 38, this might be a mid-life thing....you think? LOL Have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by allen
    MAPICS,
    My sons are both 8 and it looks like you and your kids are having fun. Plus you seem to have a great perfectionist attitude. Keep it up.

I may want something more than I can do, because when its all done one day I want to dust any 'Vette or anything like that wants to try. I'm 38, this might be a mid-life thing....you think? LOL Have a great day.
    I do have fun with my youngest son Bronson. He is 13 now and we have been at this for 5 years. When we go to shows, I put his name on the entry forms and he has a few awards for his work. I guess I'm stuck in a mid-life crisis.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.