Thread: Hole in coolant pipe

Hole in coolant pipe

Good day guys, I did a stupid thing... I drilled a small hole through the top of my coolant pipe below the drive door jam... I miss judged were I was drilling... Is there a easy fix? Can I tap and plug or spot weld it or something else? Thanks Felix

Re:Hole in coolant pipe

I see you're Canadian....I know Canadian Tire sells a product called JB Weld...I've used it to fix a small hole in my fuel tank and it seemed to work...it used to come in a tube...whether it works on a pressurized line or at certain temperature I guess you can read the pack to see it's telerance...hope that helps...I used it many moons ago but I remember it was under $10 for a tube
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

Thanks Lambo1, I'll go to CDN Tire and read the package... The presure thing is what worries me, but if it can take 15 - 20 psi I will try it

I would not use JB Weld. It is a great product but with the tempeture changes, it might cause problems when you least expect them. Here is a way to fix the pipe if you lived in West Virginia (I did for a while). If you can get to the spot without much trouble, I would drop the pipe and use an old piece of rubber radiator hose cut to about 1 in long the will wrap about 3/4 of the way around the pipe, place it over the hole and around the pipe and use three hose clamps on it. Place one clamp over the hole, the two others flanking the spot. That will hold without a bursting problem later. Then remount your pipe under the car. I am assuming this is a Fiero pipe that can be lowered enough to work on the pipe. Do not over tighten the clamps, which will cause them to cut into the hose sealing the hole.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

MAPICS_Man, that is a great idea and so simple to do.... Thanks

Yurrrrr welcome
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.