Thread: Hood Notch

Hood Notch

I've noticed on many of the 355 kits (including the cars recently posted by MAPICS) there is a notch cut out to make room for the drivers side wiper. I'm assuming this is one of those annoying things you have to live with when putting this body on a Fiero frame. Is there any good way to correct this? I'm sure if there is, somebody on the forum would have done it by now but I thought I would ask anyway.

Re:Hood Notch

It is pretty easy to fix. You don't need it. Some of the first kits (the ones in the photos from Daytona were originally Jack Lucas kits made from IFG). A Mirage or Air Dynamics kit will not have that cut out. Plenty of room for the Fiero wipers.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Agent.The red car in the pic that MAPICS showed,is the same car that I have.Same body,but different doner.I also have a choice of different comanations of engine and transmissions to choose from a 4cl.4speed manual,a 6cl pontiac 6000 5speed manual,and a 6cl Buick 3800 automatic

Agent, its pretty easy. Go to the library and get a book on fiber glass and read it. Then go down to an independent paint and body store you will need to get a sheet of glass, resin and hardener (should come with resin) first you will need to sand down the area that the glass will go over, Then you will cut a piece of cardboard, wood, metal what ever in the shape of the nutch (get it as close to the same thickness, makes the glass job look more profesional and easier to work with) Insrt the piece in the nutch and the glass it. After it is dry sand it down till it looks good.

“Regarding the notch”. I would go to a home building construction site and get a piece of trash blue Dow Corning insulating board about 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick, sand and trim to fit the space, then laminate it onto the hood with epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth. The patch will be strong and light. It is the same process as making an airplane wing. Those seem to hold up pretty well.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

lol, I had never noticed the notch before.