Thread: Seperating Body Panels - Tips needed

Seperating Body Panels - Tips needed

Hello,

Anyone have any tips for building separate body panels from a one piece body? I want to add the fender and quarter panel lines in my G28 body and make these panels removable.

To ensure that they look right they'll need some type of flanges on added on the panel edges so there is a place for them attach back together and there is something behind them so they look correct.

Anyone have any pictures on how they did this and the materials involved?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Seperating Body Panels - Tips needed

Chris,
    I have pictures with captions explaining how I split my front fenders on my Flickr site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49982981@N00/page5/

To split the rocker from the rear quarter, cut through along the split line BUT do not cut the entire length of the seam. Leave everything attached in a few places so it all stays inline. Insert a plate through the slots and align it perpendicular to the panels. Tape the plate so fiberglass won't stick to it and lay up fiberglass flanges on both sides along the plate(s). Finish by cutting through the remaining sections and adding more flange. The space between flanges will be filled by paint when painted.

I hope this gives you a good idea of what is possible.

RT

pics are confusing to me as far as your process, care to go into more details?

cheers,
    Will

Sure thing, Will,
    Be sure to read the captions at the pictures on Flickr.
    The basic thing to keep in mind is; before you split the parts, they are in the proper position to each other, and that is where you want them to be when you are done.
    So:
    Decide where you want to split. Once you split, it is a lot of work to change back.
    Cut along that line to make each part BUT don't cut them completely apart. My picture "22sep07 008" shows the back side of the front fender where it is attached to the door jamb/cowl section. Here I cut along the line but left it connected at the top and bottom. I fed tape through the slot between the parts and onto the inside of the fender. This will prevent fiberglass from bonding to the fender. I roughed up the inside of the door jamb side of the cut so I could lay up fiberglass to produce an overlapping flange that will cover the gap between the fender and the door jamb when finished. Lay up enough fiberglass to give you a solid flange, wide enough to cover the gap and more. When the fiberglass cures, cut through the rest of the split line to finish removal of the fender. Then you can clamp the fender and door jamb parts together in their proper position and tape the last parts that you cut making them ready to fiberglass. With all fiberglass cured, trim the edges. You will end up with two parts and a matching, contoured flange that covers the joint.
    As for the rear quarters, use a similar system but you need to place a divider to give a plane for the fiberglass flange you will need to bolt the panels back together. That flange can also be used to mount the parts to the chassis.
    Use this system for any location you want to make body seams.

RT

Very, very, VERY good info here!!! So you are the guy with all the awesome YouTube videos? Man, your work is what got me interested in building a car! Thanks again for the awesome information!!!

naoufel,
    Thanks. Yeah, that's me. I am usually at kitcentral.com but I have been lurking here and enjoying the posts. This was one post where I thought I could contribute.
    The videos and posts I do are part of the fun I'm having with my build and, since I am only going to build one 'o' these, I hope I can share what I know and learn. I know I like seeing what others do also.
    Thanks again.

RT

RT, thanks for the information.

This is one way that I didn't think of.

Chris

Yeah RT's stuff is amazing. No-Bull, not sure if its still on here or not, but murcie me had a post with a great write up detailing the separating of the panels and the flange building. no help really, sorry :-[