Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Airbags?

Which Airbags?

Which front airbags are people using with the 88 Fiero? I have a almost brand new complete AirRide system that I took out of my classic truck that Im going to be using on my Diablo Roadster. I have 2-5 gallon tanks, 2 Vair Compressors, digital controller, air-lines,ect. The bags I have are too big I think to use on the Fiero.

I plan on only useing just one compressor and one 5 gallon tank mounted in the front compartment.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Re: Which Airbags?

SKW7001 (ShockWaves) with a compressed height of 10.50" and an extended height of 14.25"

http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/Air_R...KW7001/554740/
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Are you planning on using the air ride as your regular suspension or as a lifting device?

The reason I ask is because the air ride makes for an extremely harsh ride and unpredictable ride height after every bump.
    I tested it here a couple of years ago and it was so bad we scraped the entire system and went with springs.

hey Jim,
    When you said you used it as primary system, did you had the computer controlling the system? If you did was your system had just preasure sensors as feedback to the computer or you also had level sensors as well.
    Secondly which sprintgs did you use, the 7000 series or the 9000 series with internal shocks.

Reason I'm asking about the computer and the system is, I'm planning on putting it into my car and have it controlled by the copmputer with level and preasure sensors. Apperently the latest generation computer has fairly sufusticated algorithm and the symptoms are no longer there.

I have held wide track slalom on the front of an '87. I have air bags above the control arms for lift only. I'll try and get some shots for you tomorrow.

I was planning on useing only the airbags only, but I called my friend that is a dealer with AirRide systems to find out a little more info. He has a custom pickup business and he told me he didnt have any experience on my type of install. He called AirRide and spoke with them, they said to have my car scaled to see what the weight on the front is. Apperently if the front end is extremly light the AirRide is not the best choice. I went ahead and put some lowering springs on so I could get the wheels back on it so my other friend can come over with his set of 4 corner scales. I ended up twisting off the top of the lower ball jointwhile tightening it down, so now I gotta go get some new lower ball joints....

Im really interested in to see how others have their airbags setup just as a lift system. It seems there is not alot of room up in there so some pics would be really nice!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chimaera
    hey Jim,
    When you said you used it as primary system, did you had the computer controlling the system? If you did was your system had just preasure sensors as feedback to the computer or you also had level sensors as well.
    Secondly which sprintgs did you use, the 7000 series or the 9000 series with internal shocks.

Reason I'm asking about the computer and the system is, I'm planning on putting it into my car and have it controlled by the copmputer with level and preasure sensors. Apperently the latest generation computer has fairly sufusticated algorithm and the symptoms are no longer there.
    It had external shocks and I was using two air ride level valves by Haldex.
    The compressor was virtually running all the time because it had to release air then fill all time while driving to maintain the steady ride height.
    I also made up a circuit board with latching relays to raise the car and then lower. When lowering it, it would go back to work with the level sensors.
    Everything worked awesome on the shop floor but on the road it was awful, a very harsh ride.

Not very thrilled about the fact and never really thought about the compressors running that much. I would really hate the noice that they nenerate, I'm sure they would not be as loud as shop comressor but still the fact that it would run it would drive me crazy.

\I still like to have a way of lowering and raising the car, maybe a full air suspension is not the answer and a hybrit should do it.
    Said that I'm still gonna call AirRide and see what the story is and pitfalls of full air system. I would figure good shocks and swaybar should keep everything in level.

Any one else with any experiance here that can chime in. I like to move onto the syspension and need to make desition.

Shocks won't keep a car level or change ride height. A sway bar only works while cornering.