Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need paint advice

Need paint advice

Im 95% done with the mechanical build on my Diablo Roadster, Im just waiting on a rear brake caliper to come in so it can be in a driving condition. Its time now to start the body work and paint. I have been trying for months to figure out how I want to paint it. I do plan on getting some black Lamborghini rims in the future but the polished Diablo wheels I have now will have do...

I cant decide between a solid bright white or a solid bright white with the lower side fins and rear spoiler matte black. Or solid white pearl or white pearl with the lower side fins and rear spoiler matte black. Hopefully the pics will load of what Im considering...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31604886@N08/5561274093/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/31604886@N08/5561273877/

What do you think will look better on a Diablo roadster????

Re: Need paint advice

Just so you know. When you see the darker tail fin and shark gills on a roadster, they are typically carbon fiber. If you want something different and you like the way it looks, you should go for it.

White and black always look good togather.

Grant

totally go with the pearl and the black. i agree with flying roadster, send me those parts and ill carbon fiber them for ya
    but for working in a body shop i can tell ya, breaking up body lines and parts with color changes is an awsome idea. my brother painted an nsx black a while back and painted all the vents and center body pieces orange. it looked hott, he showed me pics of the car after he painted it all black before the orange and wow what a difference. all the same color is clean, but breaking it up gives definition. hope this helps on your decision

I would go with bright white and the mate black, pearl white is nice but if you get a little scratch or chip, you won't be able to to just touch it up ,it won't look good, pearls and candie are beautifull paints but are expensive to repair, in most cases you have to paint the hole side of the car to make it look like it never happen, but it all depends on you . so think about about it and think ahead good luck

hey luapynot

hi buddy just an idea im doing a dna f430 replica and im doing mine in bright white and all my wheels are going to be a special anthracite colour i mixed myself off paint scheme,as lambo chick says pearls are awesome and look the dogs bollox (sorry) and will make a great looking car,the only drawback is as carspancho has said,if you have a chip or have a blowhole in fiberglass you can just blob a small bit of paint on the hole and a quick flat and polish and it wont be seen,or even blow ins are easy with straight 2-pack,but you would need to keep it polished well as strong sunlight can fade 2-pack paints.if you went for a base coat and laquer it will be fine in sunlight,and keeps a glass like finish,pearls are lovly buddy but if you can afford to have scratch damage repaired at a bodyshop or dont mind paying the the higher costs then go for it buddy,ive got a bodyshop but im going for straight white and its only because touch ups etc are far more easier...

hope this helps buddy but theres plenty of advice off other members....

Im not really that worried about touch ups as I am about the actual paint job itself. I have done 9 base coat / clear coat paint jobs that all have came out great, but this will be my first tri coat job. I like to do panel off paint jobs, (paint and clear each panel off the car). I always spray the base on the front and back of the hood, lids, doors, ect, let it flash then clear everything. Wait a day or two, then put it back together and then wet sand/buff everything.

With the pearl mid coat it has to be really even all over the car. If I sprayed the pearl mid coat with the panels off theres a good chance it wouldnt look right. The pearl has to have the same amount of coverage/coats to look the same color. The car should be completely put together and sprayed all at one time for the pearl.

So it would seem that Im going to have to spray the back of each panel with base , (at least 3-4 coats) then spray just the back of the panels with the pearl and clear (3-4 coats), wait a day or two for it to cure, tape off all the back of the panels (hood/ trunk-engine decks,ect) then put it all back together. Then come back wipe down the outside of the car real good and spray the entire outside of the car with the base then pearl and then the clear. I should be able to do that all in 1 or 2 more days and hope it looks decent.... In the end it will be a 4 to 5 day paint job just to have the pearl. My spray booth is pretty small, so it may even take longer... So thats the real question is the pearl worth all the extra hard work or would a nice bright white look just as good?

hey buddy

my experiance with pearls etc is as you say the best way is to paint all inside and outside of panels and laquer just the insides i sometimes paint the outside so theres a good colour base and they are already near colour of finish job,then fit to the car and paint whole car as one but it is long winded and as i mentioned i was going to do mine in a pearl white from house of kolor but after looking at all the hard work and time involved i opted for a pure bright white and anthracite,the trouble is as you say buddy having a small booth means doing a few runs through the booth,personaly i never thought that a pearl white is bright enough but i did consider it as its a high range car but my opinion is if you want to spend the time doing a pearl then go for it,its a lovly finish.im opting for the easy option lol

hope it goes well buddy when you have decided which way you go... let us all know the outcome and of course some piccies buddy

Met a gut with a real Diablo GT (not VT, the GT) on Sunday (yes in the rainy yucky-ness) in pearl orange.... just.. wow... No longer have any indecisiveness about white or orange for me.. get the pearl man, I've seen the viper snakeskin green pearl, the Diablo gt orange pearl, and white pearl on a few cars, all left a memory behind.

one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUDr4Q0F80Y

In my opinion if you had a vendetta like me the strait white would be the way to go because of all the sharp angles. With your Diablo, all those gorgeous curves the car has will really show off that pearl to the max. You'll absolutely get pay-back for your time spent on that !!

Does anyone know the name of the color of paint of the car in the first link I posted?

I got my paint in today and Im not real happy with the color. Its more of a Cadillac Escalade color. I did a couple spray outs and its not what I was really looking for, Im just not feeling it..... Maybe I would like it if the whole car was sprayed but Im thinking a cooler bright whte pearl would look better.

What would look better this warmer gold pearl kinda like the car above or the cooler bright white pearl??
    Thanks for your advice!

Id go with a nice Pearl white with Black rims.