Thread: standard 4 or 5 bolt rims to centerlock?

standard 4 or 5 bolt rims to centerlock?

Wondering if anyone knows if its possible to fill in the bolt holes in your standard 4 or 5 bolt rim and re drill the center out for a centerlock setup?

Re: standard 4 or 5 bolt rims to centerlock?

I've seen some center mount types of wheels on certain track cars. I would imagine that you would have those rims custom made rather than using a 4-5 lug standard rim. The center section of the rims that I've seen are very "robust" and "mate" to the hub portion of the car.

Seems like quite a bit of work for a D.I.Y. but I'd be curious to see it done. (not sure of the advantage vs cost though).
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

I think I remember there being an adapter that will do that, have a look at the wire wheel suppliers like dayton

mounting these is easy as you could have a spindle machined from a block of billet aluminum.

i contacted a few companies who specialize in wheel widening repair ect.. they said while it is possible to fill the holes and machine out a center hole you would be seriously reducing the structural integrity of the wheel. Last thing I want to do is have my wheels fail. I may just have some custom center wheels made.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper-Deck
    they said while it is possible to fill the holes and machine out a center hole you would be seriously reducing the structural integrity of the wheel.
    Agreed.

The wheels that I've seen had a very strong center section. I'm sure the center portion of most rims must meet certain strength "minimums" and would "possibly" hold up ok, but I don't think I'd want to find out "on the road" that they failed.
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.