Thread: 355 owners around Toronto - I need help, and my story

355 owners around Toronto - I need help, and my story

Well guys, some of you may remember me. I started looking into kit cars when I was in college. I begged my Dad to drive me around and find a reasonable priced/good looking kit. I remember going to Drumbo, Ont to look at a kit car with my father. We saw one there and the guy was looking for $6500 for the kit.

The kit was in the worst shape iv seen, and my father advised that it would take me several years just getting the body fit and would take me just as long to mount everything. So as much as I was stuborn, I listened to my father and didnt get it. Well lets say the next few days I was pretty miserable, until my father told me we were going to look at a 355 kit his friend had for sale. We went too look at it and as much as it was almost as bad shape as the first one we saw, the guy wanted $300 for the entire kit!

We picked it up and I began to play around with it. My father was a very knowledgeable man and he helped me quite a bit with the vehicle since he was a mechanic/body man as well as a welder. Anyways as years went by and I felt like selling my car, my dad would change my mind and light that spark again by helping me. As time went on my dad started feeling weaker, we all started thinking he was just getting old. After several tests and a lot of trips to the hospital my dad was diagnosed with ALS in Sept 2008. My Dad started showing the signs quickly and unfortunately pass away in Dec 2008 at the age of 52.

As the 2 years went by, the 355 stayed untouched since the last day my father helped me with it. The other day, my mother asked me what I was going to do with the car, and I just said "call the junk yard and tell them to take it". Everytime I thought of working on it, Id be afraid of getting stuck on something and knowing I couldnt go to my Dad for the solution.

After a talk with my Mom, I have decided to complete it, whatever it takes.

What I need is to just look at another 355 IFG kit (the one with the doors together with the bottom piece) to see how they mounted the rest of the body, and if they separated the rocker from the door, and a couple other small things here and their.

Iv fiberglassed a metal bar in the front of the car, then welded it to the frame of the car, and mounted the hood but she still needs a ton of work but im going to be working on it as much as I can. The majority of work my Dad an I did was on the chassis. We fully sandblasted the car, zinc chromated the entire car, primed, and undercoated everything. We replaced every ball joint, bushing, replaced plastic to poly and she is ready to drive. Now is the body.

I know its pretty sketchy letting someone you dont know come over and check out your ride, so even pictures would be great.

I used to live in Strathroy, but due to my career choice, I moved to Richmond Hill. The car is still in Strathroy so when I go back next week I will take pictures of the body in the works.

Thanks in advanced guys

Re: 355 owners around Toronto - I need help, and my story

Try to get ahold of Mike his member name is MAD he was building a 355 in the Ontario area I know he was buliding a IFG kit before he got a different 355 kit, he may be able to help you.

-Robert

Sorry to hear about your dad and I bet he would be proud of you for finishing the car. There are many of us here who have built the IFG 355's that can help you along, myself included. I am building an AD355 now which is a different kit altogether but I have access to my old build photos and remember how I did a lot of the body installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Berlinetta
    Sorry to hear about your dad and I bet he would be proud of you for finishing the car. There are many of us here who have built the IFG 355's that can help you along, myself included. I am building an AD355 now which is a different kit altogether but I have access to my old build photos and remember how I did a lot of the body installation.
    That's right, Glenn didn't you have a build website of some sort?

I use to have a build site but that is long gone. I do still have all the photos from it though... Just not organized very well.

I still have my 355 in south Etobicoke if you want to stop by and have a 'look see' .
    It's up for sale after I clean it up.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Berlinetta
    I use to have a build site but that is long gone. I do still have all the photos from it though... Just not organized very well.
    Funny because I have all the info from you site but no pictures.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate all the help I can get so I'm sure you'll sees me a lot on the forum asking silly questions, so for that I apologize before hand.

Jim that's very kind of you, I sent you a PM.

Brad

I hope you continue to build the car It will be tough but just don't give in.. I have a similiar story and I almost sold my ADkit, but I have since regrouped and am building everyday.. God bless and good luck ... 8)

Brad,

As you know most of the guys will take the time to answer any and all questions that you have, some will even come and turn a wrench with you. Keep at it enjoy the journey and every time you stick the key in the ignition you will smile and think of your father