Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tubular dynamis replica chassis metal thickness ?.

tubular dynamis replica chassis metal thickness ?.

so i recived another set of tubular dynamics chassis plans and it dosent have the metal thickness, now i know some peices anre 1.5" by 1.5" etc etc , but thats not the measurment i need i guess i mean the guage can any one help me out ?. this is for chassis square style tubing. dont want to get to thin and have weak chassis.

Re: tubular dynamis replica chassis metal thickness ?.

also what grade cromoly do i need has any one built a tubular dynamics chassis before the plans i have do not list guage of tubing need help nefore i buy bunch of tubing that i cant use.

so i need to know wall thickness , example 1" by 1" by ?(wall thickness)

Hi
    I am not sure if it helps, but the Ultima GTR chassis (which I copied) uses 38mm x 1.5mm tube.

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/Content.aspx?f=gtrspec

Regards
    Nick
    Regards
    Nick

Twin turbo V8 Zonda inspired thingy

now these plans use 1.5"x1.5" square tubing 0.75"x0.75" square tubing and 1.5"x0.75" rectangular tubing but my chassis plans dont say the wall thickness thats where im having trouble, also where are people getting thi metal from in the unites states im in tucson arizona area.

Quote Originally Posted by ADAMSQUARED
    now these plans use 1.5"x1.5" square tubing 0.75"x0.75" square tubing and 1.5"x0.75" rectangular tubing but my chassis plans dont say the wall thickness thats where im having trouble, also where are people getting thi metal from in the unites states im in tucson arizona area.
    I Adam
    I was'[nt suggesting you change the steel to round, I was just saying that 1.5mm thick seems about right. Otherwise it will weigh a tonne!
    Regards
    Nick

Twin turbo V8 Zonda inspired thingy

i understood you just wanted to make sure anyone else who was chiming in would understand what you and me where thinking.

The 1.5"X1.5" tubing is 0.125" wall thickness. -
    The 0.75"X0.75" is 0.065" wall thickness.
    The 1.5"X0.75" is 0.065" wall thickness. On my control arms (calls for the same sizing) I went 0.083" wall thickness for the extra strength.
    All the round tubing should be seamless DOM.

i used 16gauge [.065]to build mine.but you could go a little heavier if you like,12gauge would be as heavy as i would go.

john

i use a lot .083 wall tubing and the frame its self i like to use a .120 wall to give alittle more meat to weld the suspension brackets on. in my days of racing it seemed that .083 and .065 would eventually fail under stress. i would love to use .095 for the frame but it is way more expensive than .120 at least where i am located. for instance i can almost buy two lengths of .120 to one length of .095. it really comes down to what is commonly used in your area. i would do you home work and get plenty of quotes so that you can compare. i actually have several places that i get stuff from. over the years i have kind of figured out who deals the most with whatever i am needing. i go to one place for sheet metal and plate. another for round tubing and another for square tubing and their is a couple places that i call for each every time i need to order. currently steel is just going through the roof so the suppliers price fluctuate a lot just depends what they paid for their last shipment. and see if you cant negotiate the price some. also buying bulk is always cheaper so try and figure outhow much you need to do the whole project and then some for mistakes and order all at once. i remember mike from chassisworks telling me about the expense of getting it shipped into the Vegas area. he might be able to tell you where to get the steel. as far as chromemoly, you would be looking at about 5 times more cost per foot. and you better know how to weld it. or the welds WILL fail, remember that when welding chrome you are welding brittle metal and when you weld steel it becomes brittle at the weld and the area around the weld. so in otherwords welding chrome moly will just add to the brittleness of it. i only use the chrome tubing as bracing to the structural tubing. remember you are building a car to drive on the road for lots and lots of miles. the real lambo chassis is not designed for 100,000 mile life span. actually I'm not so sure they would make it 50,000 with out it starting to pull apart at the welds.