Thread: Can I go from Synthetic to conventional oil?

Can I go from Synthetic to conventional oil?

Guys, have some trannie and minor engine oil leaks. I recall reading or watching....something that mentioned sythetic oils may not swell "O"rings or seals causing leaks. I believe the previous owner of the car just put in synthetic possibly causing the issue. Can I go back to conventional oil?

Re: Can I go from Synthetic to conventional oil?

The reason for the leaks is probably because the synthetic is thinner and possibly also because it is "slicker" it tends to sneak by seals more. I think they are compatible if you just drain out what is in there now and replace with conventional oil you should be fine. I wouldn't add one to the other without draining first.

In your case since you may be experiencing some leaks due to synthetic, you may want to drain most of it first. (however, you can mix synthetic and conventional oils without any problems so I wouldn't worry about getting every last drop out).

From the Valvoline website FAQ:

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-...tic-motor-oil/

Q. Can you mix different types of motor oil? For example, synthetic and synthetic blend or regular and synthetic? Is this going to cause problems?

A. Mixing synthetic and conventional oils will not cause any problems. The oils are compatible with each other.

Also...,

Most synthetics don't have any additives to protect / "restore" seals so if you have a high mileage engine, a High Mileage Synthetic may do the job for you (if you still want to run synthetic that is) since they usually include additives to "restore / protect" seals.
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Great thanks for the help.

The Rookie!!!