Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: windscreen suggestions

windscreen suggestions

HI EVERYBODY!
    (hi Dr. nick
    .... sorry)

anyways, tonight or tomorrow I'm gonna start building a replica car, currently I'm set on the Mclaren F1 but i will be making some changes to make it a cheaper build.

but before i make those changes I would like some suggestions

does anybody know any windscreens of existing (common) cars that have a similar windscreen as the Mclaren?

if not would you know any common cars that have a similar windscreen as any of these cars?

Countach
    Diablo
    Murcielago

doesn't have to be exact, doesn't even have to be similar, just something that would match with the look of the car (I'm gonna adapt the mold to fit the cheaper windscreen/lights, ect)

thank you guys in advance.
    and may I say what a nice site you got here
    cheers
    Nick_Black

Re: windscreen suggestions

Seems to me the Murci G28 replica windshield is a Toyota Camry windshield? Can't remember for sure but someone will know.

Also, AGP in the States makes Diablo screens. the template was made from a Cory Davis build so one a-pillar is shorter by about 1". everyone using this glass uses a filler piece at the bottom but it looks really goo.

Will (wbnemo1) here has a contact for the Countach screen. I would say the best folks to talk to about a Maclearn screen might be RCR or Noble?? The Lotus Elise, I think, also has a pretty rounded screen that might be close enough to use. I think Prototype2 used the Lotus screen for the Enzo build but again, not sure.

No idea on prices for any of the screens.

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Re: windscreen suggestions

hey, thanks for the quick reply!
    turns out i got called in to work so i couldn't start when i wanted to, so I'm starting today but it will only be a mclaren themed car, there will be some noticable difrences (gonna call it the Mclen E1)

thanks for the suggestions, and refering me to people who can help time for me to get building (I'll start a build log once i get a decent amount done)

Any one know which is the best material to form a windscreen out of seems polycarbonate/Lexan is the better of the many.

Lexan is probably your best bet but check on the legality of using it. Also ANY of the "plastic" materials will scratch much easier than glass so if you will be using windshield wipers (usually required by law) that can be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder View Post
    Lexan is probably your best bet but check on the legality of using it. Also ANY of the "plastic" materials will scratch much easier than glass so if you will be using windshield wipers (usually required by law) that can be a problem.
    Live in the Philippine's so hope road worthy is not an issue and idea to stop scratching maybe tear off?
    Hope to build a 917 so not much hope of finding glass.

Welcome to the Forum!
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

One little correction, the G28 uses a Nissan Maxima windshield.

I made a quick animation of a stock bodied Fiero with a stock windshield vs. AD 355 windshield.

I would love to do that with other windshields. (Sebring, Breeze, etc.) All I need is for people to send/post pictures from the exact same angle with both windshields in place in alternate pics.

This DOT rear windshield from the 93+ Camaro looks the same... just need to nip the sides a bit.