Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed sensor connection to rear spoiler

Speed sensor connection to rear spoiler

Do any one knows what type of sensor is needed to allow my rear spoiler to rise at a particular speed on a liner actuator and lower when I come to a stop?

Re: Speed sensor connection to rear spoiler

The sensor is easy. Anything that will read off of something like the notches on the ABS will work for that. The harder part will be a control box to convert the speed signal to a signal to actuate the mechanism to raise the spoiler.

My megasquirt ECU can be programmed to do things at certain temperatures, revs etc.. I have 2 fans on the intercoolers that switch on when the temperature hits 50 degs c on the inlet manifold, I will aso have actuators lift panels to allow more air in.

you might find this place useful for inspiration http://www.robotshop.com/eu/motors-actuators.html
    Regards
    Nick

Twin turbo V8 Zonda inspired thingy

I don't think the gas pedal is the way to go, any time you step on the throttle the rear spoiler would be waving up and down wether you are driving at slow speed or at high speed. To keep it simple I think the idea of using the trans/ shifter might be the way to go. Mount a switch on the shifter that when you shift in to 3rd gear toggle a relay or latching circuit that will engages the actuator. When the shifter is downshifted into 2nd or 1st gear have a switch toggle the relay to disengage the actuator and the wing returns to the starting position. It sounds simple enough in theory and my build is not at that point yet. the bigger issue might be how the heck to get an actuator into the spoiler mounted securely and have it serviceable.

I just finished testing my window roll down setup to open the door and when i lock the door with the key it rolls the window up on my diablo roadster. I used a series of relays and micro switches and it works perfectly.

Mike

Well if you attach any kind of switch to the throttle/gas pedal you will be triggering the spoiler based on rpm then. If my car is in first gear and I let the clutch out and i press the throttle to the floor to accelerate quickly the spoiler will engage. When I shift in to the next gear and the rpms drop, the spoiler will move again and then when I step on the throttle to accelerate the spoiler will move again as I let off the throttle to shift into the next gear well you get the idea. The spoiler will be waving up and down as I drive down the street, but hey if that's the result you are looking for then go for it. Good Luck.

My thought here was based on your previous post, trigger the spoiler based on the shifters position maybe only in 5th gear, the shifter would then trigger the micro switch and engage the spoiler. When the vehicle is down shifted into another gear other than 5th it would release the switch and the spoiler would return to the original position. That should be very simple to accomplish and you would wire the relay to only trigger when the vehicle is running. The down side would be if the vehicle is at rest with the engine running and you put the car into 5th gear the spoiler would engage. I guess you could integrate the clutch switch into the circuit to prevent that from happening.

If you really wanted to get creative you could install a stepper motor in the rear spoiler and then have a switch for maybe 3rd and 4th gear. Each time you shift the car into one of those gears the stepper motor would move to a new postion. Now you really got me thinking. This may have to be my next winter project. Lots of ideas and not enough time......

Mike

it would be nice if some one could post a schematic on how they did this or going to do this. and thanks for the link nick.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffscustomfab
    it would be nice if some one could post a schematic on how they did this or going to do this. and thanks for the link nick.
    Heh, no problem.
    just a thought though, if you put a switch on 3, 4 or 5th gear the spoiler would drop when you stop or go down to 2nd/1st. I think if you could find a way for it to pop up on temperature it would stay up untill the air cooled (even at stand still) and serve a function and not be purely cosmetic.

Just my 2 cents though. My system all works via the engine's ecu which operates relays to switch on / off go faster goodies
    Regards
    Nick

Twin turbo V8 Zonda inspired thingy

there are 2 ways of doing this and gas pedal is not one of them
    1. hook up read switches to lets say gear 4 and above as Bobi and others are saying
    2. with electronic controll connected to speed sensor the controller would tell the spoler to deploy or retract

How about a switch mounted in the front bumper with a square flap to catch the wind and en-gauge the switch at a certain speed? That's what i came up with before i posted the subject I was hoping for a simple solution to my project.

Bobi, I do have 1 question.

you are in 1st gear with gas pedal florred all the way to the bottom, your engive revs to the limit and you are ding 20mph and the spoiler deploys

you are in 5th gear barely 1/4 way down on the gas pedal doing 100mph and the spoiler never moves

dont you think that this kinda sounds silly