Thread: Manual/Automatic to paddle shift...possible for small budget?

Manual/Automatic to paddle shift...possible for small budget?

I was thinking about making a f430 replica from DNA on a Toyota MR2. Now here are the question:
    1)The MR2 ('99-'07) is available with 6-speed manual gearbox or a 6-speed Sequential Manual (which I think is just an automatic, with no paddles), could you give me more information about the "sequential manual" one?
    2)Let's say I buy the automatic, can I put paddle shifters on it (working ones, not just for decor) and replace the stick with buttons( again, working ones)?

I'm a complete noob when it comes about these technical things and I hope you can help me understand.
    This is what Wikipedia says about the transmission:
    Transmission 5-speed manual
    6-speed manual (Europe)
    6-speed Sequential Manual
    Thanks,
    -X

Re: Manual/Automatic to paddle shift...possible for small budget?

I think it is very much possible, try Proshift. This company makes paddle shift for any car

i dont know about the paddle shifters. but i can help out with the buttons in place of the shifter. like egear for the lambos. i helped make a setup for my car that made it egear.

Yes, mastershift makes paddle shifting set ups for automatic and manual cars, for instance my setup has an automatic tranny in it and they sell a kit that allows me to fully replace my standard automatic shifter with just e gear buttons, and have paddles mounted on my steering column that allow me to shift from park to neautral to drive etc..

thanks guys you told me these, I will look over mastershift's prices and products. ;D
    here's a reply I've got from another forum:
    Hi mine's an SMT, it's truly manual, with buttons on the steering wheel.
    I'll post more when I get back from the show.
    so I understand that the MR2 SMT (the automatic version) has some kind of paddle shifters as buttons, but I'm not sure so I asked for pics that I will post here too.

-X

LE: I attached some photos I found over the Internet, as you can see, there are two buttons on each side of the wheel with the same function as the paddles I think (in the photo there are 2 DOWN buttons, lol) but there still remains a problem...let's say I replace the buttons with paddles, but what about the stick? I want to replace it with buttons, how much would this cost me?

not something a bit offtopic: can I replace the gauges with some that look more like the original? I mean is it easy to calibrate them? Because I want a 10k RPM Ferrari tachometer and a 360kph speedo. Thanks in advance !