Thread: what's the best aluminum

what's the best aluminum

I know you guys know this, ;D what is the best aluminum to use for a replica frame ,is it the t56 ?

Re: what's the best aluminum

no i would say the 60 or even the 70 series alum. problem is the cost not to mention every place you weld becomes much softer.

6061 T6 (the 7XXX series cannot be welded) is probably the best for structural work. It will be weaker where you weld it unless the whole chassis is heat treated after it is built. Aluminum just isn't a good material for a street driven chassis. It is not as stiff as steel which means that you have to use thicker material so the weight savings is not as great as you would expect. By using the right size steel tubing you can make a light weight, more durable chassis than an aluminum one.

Eric,
    not to be arguementative but you may want to let GM, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Ford, Mercedes, Audi, Lamborghini ,VW and others know that aluminum does not make a good street chassis...
    5083 is a good grade aluminum to use for chassis building...has a good corrosion resistance too.

You are right Fran, but how the major manufacturers builds a chassis and how one is built by a home builder is two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder
    You are right Fran, but how the major manufacturers builds a chassis and how one is built by a home builder is two different things.
    How are they different exactly ?

well for starts, only a few of the listed use an alum chassis. for instance Ferrari which a couple of their models now have an alum chassis, but what many might not know is the chassis is actually made by Alcoa (major manufacture of alum.) the chassis are made to a certain grade of alum. which bent, formed, pressed, heated, and all kinds of stuff going on at their factory then shipped to Ferrari or some of the others manufactures. i think their was a discovery or a Nat Geo show about that. anyways hope i explained it okay.

Having worked for GM and knowing the production techniques/materials for the Cadillac XLR and the Corvettes...as well as rebuilding and repairing the Ford GT race cars of Robertson racing in ALMS I can tell you that the grades of aluminum used are all available to anyone looking to build their own....although some of the forming techniques may not be...
    Having built over 250 aluminum chassis in my shop in the last 5 years we have a little more experience than most.
    If you plan on attempting an aluminum chassis make sure that you have superb technical welders and thorough knowledge of what you are getting involved in ....it can be done but its a lot more difficult than many first realise

Thanks guys i was asking because i had a 2001 prowler last year, which i sold already , and the frame was aluminum, so it was very light , and i was thinking why not do my next build on a aluminum frame , price for aluminum in my town is 1.25 a foot , but i am still playing with that idea have to think about that