Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So What If Side Glass Is Not Tempered?

So What If Side Glass Is Not Tempered?

I've asked before about custom window cutting and from what I've learned, you can cut a windshield, but not side glass because it is tempered.

So, my question now is, what if you cut your side windows out of a windshield. Do they HAVE to be tempered for any special reason?

Re: So What If Side Glass Is Not Tempered?

Your side windows are designed to shatter so if fire/rescue needs to access you through the windows they can.
    In the very lease I'd make my wide windows lexan.. would probably never use a windshield for side glass.

Non tempered glass is not very strong and it will crack very easy. Older cars back in the 50s and earlier used laminated glass in all door glass. Although they also had a metal frame protecting the edges from cracking. They used a frame around the glass. like in a sedan, or a frame around the glass it self like in a HT or convertable. I used some laminated glass a while back on door glass without a frame. It held up well. I was just carefull and didn't slam the doors when the windows were up. Automotive lamated glass is thicker than tempered glass since it is 2 layers of glass with PVC in the center so you must allow a little more room in the window channel.

There are two reason to temper glass. The first being that it makes the glass a lot stronger. The down side is it become brittle, but it takes a lot more force to break. The second and more important reason is that when it breaks, tempered glass breaks into many little squares. Nontemptered glass breaks into long triangles with razor sharp edges. Imagine a rock going through your window and turning the window into 5" long razor spikes that are headed your way. Please do not fail this IQ test.

Quote Originally Posted by Brastic
    There are two reason to temper glass. The first being that it makes the glass a lot stronger. The down side is it become brittle, but it takes a lot more force to break. The second and more important reason is that when it breaks, tempered glass breaks into many little squares. Nontemptered glass breaks into long triangles with razor sharp edges. Imagine a rock going through your window and turning the window into 5" long razor spikes that are headed your way. Please do not fail this IQ test.
    Since all windshields are lamanted. What is your point to this?

lamination holds the razors together

I studied a new Mercedes the other day and it had two tempered glass pieces laminated together with some sort of material in between. Possibly a heater or polarizing panel.
    The naerc roadster I built had laminated door glass. Both of the side windows broken after about six months of driving. Just one of the laminates cracked and the other was fine. I had to replace both, much fun indeed.

What caused your door glass to crack? pressure points? torqued?

Quote Originally Posted by LamboIllinois
    What caused your door glass to crack? pressure points? torqued?
    I have no idea how it cracked. The car was a rental for over a year. I assume some of the renter slammed the door or leaned too hard on it.
    The glass was not binding in the track and moved freely.

A lot of today's cars have laminated side glass. The rule should be does your glass have support on ALL sides? and is there ANY pressure are movement in the glass that would cause stress. As stated laminated is not near as durable as tempered. Nearly every car through the 1950's had laminated glass all the way around. Tempered glass came in with "frameless" door glass and continued until a few years ago when automakers realized laminated is usually cheaper and quieter. Now they are using some in doors and qtrs again. I prefer tempered, but laminated will do if you have a full frame around it and it is supported on two sides going up and down. I think if it is not riding in a channel at front and back I would also avoid it. Meaning the glass pulls away from the front channel as it downs.