Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V8 conversion questions

V8 conversion questions

;D Hello again all! I found someone local with a chevy V8 sitting in their garage from several years ago. It is a 302 with 351?heads and rocker rollers. I am not very knowledgable in the art of engines, Thus ,,,,,,please excuse any faux-pa's from this point on. First question: After being rebuilt, and then sitting for "several" years,,,,,,,,what needs to be done to run it again? Second: Is this a good candidate for the swap in my 88 fiero Countach? I think I can get this engine for next to nothing ( any idea how much this should be?) but I keep reading that 350's are much more popular. And last: I have been to archies site and am not exactly sure what version of his stuff I would need to install this thing. As always,,,,,,,,,,,any and ALL input is welcome!! 8)

Re:V8 conversion questions

For starters make sure you change the oil before you fire it up...oil can go bad after a while, especially while sitting in metal (oil pan) hence oil is sold in plastic. Don't hold me to this but the "V" in a Ford block might be wider than a Chevy so make sure it can fit...other than that I have no idea why Chevy is used more often than Ford...maybe the starter motor, oil pump...ect. are located in awkward places for the motor to drop in a doner car???
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

Are you sure it's a chevy a 302 with 351 heads would normally be a ford,distributer in front of the intake, a 302 chevy,"veryrare"has the dist at the back of the intake, a more common chevy combo would be a 305 with 350 heads.
    MIKE

Medium size V8's do not bolt up to Fiero transmissions. Archie's stuff is installed with an adaptor plate between the engine & transmision. That plate fits the small block chevy family; 262,265,283,302,305,327,350,372,383,400 etc.... Of that bunch the 350 is the most popular choice because its the most popular engine for anything thats self propelled.
    The small block Ford is manufactured with a different bellhouseing(sp?) bolt pattern. Archie's plate does not normally fit the Ford. If you just must have one of the 289,302,351 family, Archie might/might not custom drill ($$$$) one for you. If not you can make one yourself. Then you would also need a custom flywheel or torque convertor flex plate. That would get you to a starting point. Doing a Ford/Fiero is possible. Way more money than Chevy/Fiero. Its your car. Do what you want. Find out exactly what the engine is before buying it. If you can't turn the crank or it makes funny noises when you do, that means more money.

ive never heard of 351 chevy heads and authenic 302 chevy motors never sell for next to nothing i think 1969 is the only year they made them and i think all they used em in was z28s

: So sorry all!!!!!!! I talked to the guy again today and he now informs me it is a FORD 302! Came out of a sleeper Pinto. Thanks for all the info guys and sorry to cause you undo brain aches. I will continue my search and my fight with my doors and lids! 8)

Don't be sorry-

Get busy! Post the pics of the only 302 HO EFI Fiero in ST. Looie!
    I think your's would be the only one.

Kennedy Engineering make an adapter to mount the 302 to a 5 speed Audi transaxle. The Fiero 5 speed shifter will work but you will need custom cables. That way the engine will at least be facing the correct orientation. Front to back. The Audi transaxle configuration can be located on lambolounge.com. Lists everything you need to get for the build up.

Cigar Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Being a "Ford guy" I would be interested in seeing any V-8 Ford installed in a Fiero chassis. Unfortunately for me I had to settle for a 4.9 Cadillac.
    I used the complete drivetrain from a 93 Deville.
    It gave me a V-8 power, fuel injection, big brakes, and 4 speeds ahead [automatic]
    I considered the only FWD V-8 Ford, a Lincoln, but it was to costly.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

I hear those 4.9 haul some butt. They are geared for a heavier car with lots of torque. Is that the case with your 4.9?

Cigar Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.